Many cases have as many holes as swiss cheese... why doesn't anybody talk about it?

RedKnight7

Reputable
Mar 16, 2014
I've been researching cooling and airflow versus tower cases and it occurs to me that many cases are chock full of holes - but nobody talks about it! (for mid- and full-size towers)

The holes are mainly for (unused) fan openings, but plenty of cases also have, e.g., an open grill above the PCIe slots or the PCIe slots themselves have slits, and other cases seem to have things like open meshwork all way down the sides of the front or top (although it might only look that way).

When I say "nobody talks about it", I mean that I can't recall seeing any messages talk specifically about what they use to plug unused fan holes (assuming they do). But even more surprisingly, I can't remember seeing any case advertisements, walk-throughs, or messages talking about it, and most all of the large cases I see for sale appear to ship without any cheap, removable yet functional, esthetic blocks for fanholes in case they are not all used. And I really doubt every single person buying every single case is putting fans on every single one of the 10 or 12 openings in big cases.

So:

1) I assume folks are blocking unused holes and ports. What do you use to block them?

2) Is any regular OCer (not shooting for a real-live OC record) actually putting fans on all 10 or 12 openings in these larger cases?

Thanks,

Mike

zChris

Reputable
Mar 12, 2014

I'm what some (..most) would call a 'noob' when it comes to computers, so I'm probably wrong. :sarcastic: But, I feel that the more open a case is.. the better. What if you eventually want to add, let's say, 10 fans. It's better to have that option rather than having to buy a new case.

I don't see any down-side to having multiple unused openings. There might be more dust that accumulates over time, but I'd rather deal with that than an overheating computer. I don't feel that there would be much benefit from blocking unused openings. I've never seen someone block them up, either.

Have you looked at the NZXT H440? I'm waiting for the Black/Red model to be available on NewEgg. There's also a White/Black model. It's the best looking case I've found for under $150. They hide the fan vents in the front and top of the case. It has a clean look and it has a lot of cable management options. It might be something that you'd like.

Check it out! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146148

Here's a review by Tek Syndicate: http://youtu.be/sdR6ta7jA4w

There is no need to go out of your way to block off open air passages in most instances. If you are trying to get OC bragging rights and specifically route cool air then go to town, but it won't matter for most users. Assuming you have a single intake fan on the front and two exhaust fans on the top / rear, whatever extra lengths you go to forcing that airflow won't decrease temps by a noticeable amount. I prefer to fill the case with fans whenever possible and couple them with a basic fan controller. This is overkill indeed, but I do get to run the fans at a very slow speed (with low noise) and maintain low temps.

RedKnight7

Reputable
Mar 16, 2014
Hi sadams,

I hear what you're saying, and I'm sure it's largely true that it doesn't really matter for most setups. But I can't help thinking of a few situations:

1) If there is an opening for two or more fans side by side (or you put a small fan in an opening for a much bigger one, etc.), you'll get "short circuiting". For example, there are _three_ openings at the top of a case I am considering, and I want to use an H80i cooler, which only has a single-fan footprint (two fans in push-pull).

Compare how running a fan out in the open, without any enclosure whatsoever, causes a short-circuiting donut (torus) shape where the hot air circles right back to the fan. (Highest pressure right next to lowest.) Having another fan hole right next to your fan is not nearly as bad as a totally naked fan, but it's still an obvious inefficiency.

2) This can be exacerbated by, e.g., a cosmetic grill. Consider this In Win GR One case (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811108422).

It actually has THREE openings on top, AND a cover over them. Yes, the cover has side slits, but it still short circuits more air back into the cooler radiator, _if_ you don't block the other two fan openings there (or put fans in them). (In fact the cover probably should simply be removed, but could be put on temporarily for show.)

3) Some cases also have fan opening(s) in the side, "above" the graphics card. In really big cases, there might be room for two fans or for an oversized fan (140 or even 230mm). If you have a big opening here and don't block it, it's almost as if you don't have a side covering.

In the typical situation of having one or two intake fans in the lower front of the case, and one or two exhaust fans in upper back, having a big opening on the side really weakens the concept of a cold air intake which leads to a hot exhaust output. Channeling of cold air over the graphics card, per se, is probably considerably reduced. (But whether it really matters is entirely another story. As you say, for most, it probably won't. But it is still less efficient and could cause the card to die earlier than it would have.)

Anyway. You make a good point that it doesn't matter to a lot of folks - it's cool enough to prevent a meltdown, and that's the final bottom line.

But I am still amazed that you ALMOST NEVER hear anyone talking about blocking any unused openings whatsoever.

So much so that I have no idea what folks might block unused openings (if they ever do).

And meanwhile upscale, big cases are just chock full of holes. I'm surprised they don't ship with simple but effective cutouts for holes you might not use. :)

matt798

Reputable
Mar 13, 2014
i argued with myself about this for awhile and tried different fan configurations. pos vs neg and coving the mesh holes my case has.

it mattered very little and putting the side fan facing blowing out cut a few degrees off the cpu it also pulled hot air over the video card.

the best way to be icey cold is powerful top and back fans sucking air out. and moderate speed fans blowing air in across your hard drive, video card and mother board.