Need a little information on first time start-up

Aicfan1993

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
So earlier today I finished figuring out my build and bought it. So I have a few days before I can get my hands on the hardware but I was wondering, what happens the first time on start up? I have never built a computer before (I feel extremely confident putting it all together as I have in the past taken apart and put back together computers that already where running, just for fun) and have no idea what to expect when I turn it on. I assume a BIOS window will appear or something? Will the computer walk me through it on screen, so I don't screw it all up and also, what tests can I do to make sure everything is running smoothly and defect free? Any information is greatly appreciated.

By the way, here's the build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3cdjA

Also if you will answer me this, do you think this comp is strong enough to run a lot of games (wow, titanfall, skyrim) on ultra, or close to ultra settings? Thanks!

Solution
If you're talking about running those games on 1080p, then I would expect high, barely reaching ultra.

1. Watch a lot of tutorials on YouTube, only the reputable ones. For example this one, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roFb3TNePIg&list=PL8mG-RkN2uTwlcLU_rv29Gt4578XfgJm_
2. Make sure you discharge yourself before you start touching anything, or wear an anti-static strap, either ankle or wrist
3. Read manuals for the motherboard, especially the front panel connectors and fan connectors
4. From my experience that 212 Evo isn't the easiest thing to install, you need to push it down with force and screw the screws little by little in a crisscross method
6. I also advise you to plug in only the necessary components when booting up, no...
If you're talking about running those games on 1080p, then I would expect high, barely reaching ultra.

1. Watch a lot of tutorials on YouTube, only the reputable ones. For example this one, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roFb3TNePIg&list=PL8mG-RkN2uTwlcLU_rv29Gt4578XfgJm_
2. Make sure you discharge yourself before you start touching anything, or wear an anti-static strap, either ankle or wrist
3. Read manuals for the motherboard, especially the front panel connectors and fan connectors
4. From my experience that 212 Evo isn't the easiest thing to install, you need to push it down with force and screw the screws little by little in a crisscross method
6. I also advise you to plug in only the necessary components when booting up, no wireless adapter, no mouse, no speaker. Just the CPU/motherboard/RAM (1 stick)/PSU/storage/fans/front panel.
7. When you boot up it should say no OS
8. then you just install Windows
9. then you plug your other extra stuff back inside.

Lastly, do not ever use too much force on anything, make sure no liquid around.

Good luck.

Solution
Hi Aicfan1993 ,
The first thing you should expect from your new build is to hear a single bios beep , this will let you know all your components are
hooked up correctly and working.
Before installation you should be prepared.
1. have windows install disc at the ready for windows install
2. Download all the current drivers from your motherboard manufacturers website , for
example - drivers for chipset ,audio,lan,usb,sata etc and have them on a disc or usb stick ready to go.
3. if you have any addon cards example a graphics card or sound card download the latest drivers for those also from
their manufacturers website
4. go into the bios/uefi and set boot priorities to boot from a cd
5. power up pc and insert windows disc , install windows , pretty straight forward
6. when windows is installed , install all of your downloaded drivers
7. Do windows update
8. you should be good to go
9. install flash player and java
10. install whatever programs you want to run

hope this helps

The first time you start it up it won't have an OS loaded so it will take you to the BIOS. Set your date and time and make sure it recognizes the HDD. Go into boot setup and set it to boot from the DVD drive.

Insert the OS disk in the DVD drive and xxit the BIOS, saving your settings. It will reboot and load the OS installer and you're on your way. Work through the OS install until you are ready to reboot again. Remove the disk from the DVD drive and reboot again.

When the BIOS screen comes up hit the hot key to enter the BIOS, go to the boot setup again and change it to boot from the hard drive. Exit the BIOS, saving chnages and it should boot to Windows.