If you only use one monitor are you wasting capability of a powerful GPU??

closefan

Reputable
Mar 18, 2014
Hey, title might be confusing, but I am looking at the GTX780 GeForce but dont know if I would run more than 1 large monitor. Is the 2nd monitor out port (or whatever its called in techy terms, as well as the fact that it can actually support up to 4 monitors) going to waste?

Like, the card would run at max res/details , lets say, world of warcraft on that one monitor.

Would it run just as fast with two monitors both at the same max res/details? Or does having one at full speed use the card differently than two monitors?

I dont know how to phrase my question other than saying I just want to know if having just one monitor is simply stupid because you aren't using the 2nd monitor port? did you just waste your money ? or is there no real solution around it because if you want a high performing card, you are basically subject to it supporting multiple monitors?

Solution
is it a wast of money to run a high end card with one monitor?

no. in fact you can play games at better settings at higher fps numbers if you do this.

is buying a 780 for wow a waste?

yes, wow doesnt take much graphics handling capabilities so you could get away cheaper. a 780 would be good if you want to play games like bf4, crysis, and other top end games on good graphics levels.

so what does two monitors do?

well that depends on if you run the game on both or not. if you run the game on one then the other one which presumably would have just the web up would decrease your total fps by perhaps 5-15 depending... however if you ran the game across both it could be a huge drop in performance as you would be rendering twice the data...
is it a wast of money to run a high end card with one monitor?

no. in fact you can play games at better settings at higher fps numbers if you do this.

is buying a 780 for wow a waste?

yes, wow doesnt take much graphics handling capabilities so you could get away cheaper. a 780 would be good if you want to play games like bf4, crysis, and other top end games on good graphics levels.

so what does two monitors do?

well that depends on if you run the game on both or not. if you run the game on one then the other one which presumably would have just the web up would decrease your total fps by perhaps 5-15 depending... however if you ran the game across both it could be a huge drop in performance as you would be rendering twice the data. this might require lowering graphics settings to maintain good fps numbers. outside of games though... or in games which arent that demanding its not a big issue either way.

also of note... just about any card can support multiple monitors. even down to cheap $50 cards. however, gaming performance isnt that good and multiple monitor support for gaming isnt there.

Solution