Project Morpheus Vs. Oculus Rift Development Kit 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's more, expect Sony, when the time is right, to offer demos in stores like GameStop to generate some pre-release heat.
I hope I did the quotes right. There's no way in hell I'm risking getting lice by putting a headset on in a situation like this. Have you seen gamers? (looks in mirror) There's a reason a lot of leagues don't even let teammates share helmets anymore. Gross!Sony never competes, they just work to expand the market =)I'm starting to fall in like with this Occulus Rift thinger.

Warsaw

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
Man, oh man. I don't know what to do. Jump on the second prototype now and get some VR goodness, or wait until the consumer version? I've been foaming at the mouth for this to release to the consumers ever since the Kickstarter. Very exciting.

ikaz

Distinguished
You know if MS was smart they would start talks (if they haven't already) with Occulus guys since there prototype already runs on windows they [MS] should help them make a xbox one SDK. Since the xbox on already has connect they could make a cheaper version with out the internal motion tracking sensor for the xbox.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
if oculus sides with ms on this, than they can SMD. seriously, it's turning out really awesome and looks as if it'll turn the pc industry in a full 180.and if that morpheus kicks ass, ms will be kicking themselves for years over kinect. it will be far more profitable, and it will have a good reputation as well.

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
I pre-ordered my Oculus DK2 about 10 minutes after the news posted, I really enjoyed using my DK1. It's going to be an interesting segment of the video game industry and I think there is going to be a lot of applications outside entertainment for its use.As to Microsoft & Oculus, I wouldn't mind Microsoft releasing Xbox One support for the Oculus for the Unity and Unreal engine's to support Indie and 3rd party developers. That said, I don't expect to see them do this, they would rather develop their own product rather than partnering with other vendors. It's one thing when someone wants to make a controller, completely different when your adding a core display technology. I do say that the last thing I want to see is MS looking at buying Oculus, because I really like their platform independent approach. We will see, its is going to be an interesting industry to watch over the next few years.

badhomaks

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
The 3D sound could very well be a determining factor in which headset will be better overall. However when consumer oculus comes along, 120hz, >1080p and the power of pc will propel it forward.

so... as I understand it Sony's option really only works with the PS4, and as console accessories go, it is probably doomed to be very expensive... probably as expensive as the console itself. And audio that moves with your head movement? This is a feature? Last I checked pretty much every game moves the audio according to the orientation that the screen is facing.The Rift stuff is pretty interesting. They are currently at 1080p and saying that the consumer model will have more resolution? I wonder if we are talking 1200p for a slightly taller screen, or if we are talking 1440p for added clarity. Personally I hope we are talking 1200p because if they want Rift to be a mass consumer product then we are not going to see mainstream gaming hit 1440p for a few years yet... unless this means it is going to be a few years until release, which I really hope is not the case.Very excited about both of these sets. I would probably rather use them as a straight HMD rather than using the 'look' VR feature, but it is still going to be a very fun future when these product finally hit the market. Surely going to be a bust just like 3D movies... but a bust that I am at least interested at throwing some money at.

Puiucs

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
You know if MS was smart they would start talks (if they haven't already) with Occulus guys since there prototype already runs on windows they [MS] should help them make a xbox one SDK. Since the xbox on already has connect they could make a cheaper version with out the internal motion tracking sensor for the xbox.
MS needs to make their own hardware. the oculus does not work with these consoles because they can't push 2x1080p at acceptable frame rates. only low profile games (like the ones for kinect which nobody cares about) would sometimes work. they need to design hardware specific for the consoles to make them usable in a broader range of game types.

Lwells

Reputable
Mar 16, 2014
It isn't 1080p times two though. It is (960 x1080) x2. It's effectively only pushing one 1080 screen.

Puiucs

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014

yeah you are right, i forgot about that. but they also wish to push 90Hz for the consumer version. the DK2 version says it needs 75FPS at 1080p (75Hz). It's still a too much for even PS4, but i'm sure there are some workarounds to make it happen. Xbox one is kinda limited to only kinect type of games unfortunately.

Oldbutstillatit

Honorable
Jul 4, 2012
For those of us over 40, who remember rotary dial TV's and phones, no Internet at all and even before PC's even existed, this is more than huge. It's bigger than awesome.This, the Oculus Rift and now the Morpheus, is the realization of a dream we all had as kids as early as the 70's.It's the dream come true, childhood fantasy made real.While I have my own opinion about what I hope the future of VR holds, anyway you slice it, this is all great news.

Fierce Guppy

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
I pre-ordered my Oculus DK2 about 10 minutes after the news posted, I really enjoyed using my DK1. It's going to be an interesting segment of the video game industry and I think there is going to be a lot of applications outside entertainment for its use.As to Microsoft & Oculus, I wouldn't mind Microsoft releasing Xbox One support for the Oculus for the Unity and Unreal engine's to support Indie and 3rd party developers. That said, I don't expect to see them do this, they would rather develop their own product rather than partnering with other vendors. It's one thing when someone wants to make a controller, completely different when your adding a core display technology. I do say that the last thing I want to see is MS looking at buying Oculus, because I really like their platform independent approach. We will see, its is going to be an interesting industry to watch over the next few years.
I've never worn VR gear and have no idea what it's like. Do you see the image on a rectangular film screen in front of you or does the image span your field of view? Is the pixel density good enough as to not be noticeable? Do you feel nauseous after wearing it for long periods of time, say, 4hrs or more?

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
I've never worn VR gear and have no idea what it's like. Do you see the image on a rectangular film screen in front of you or does the image span your field of view? Is the pixel density good enough as to not be noticeable? Do you feel nauseous after wearing it for long periods of time, say, 4hrs or more?
I only tried OR version 1.It's not a screen in front of you, it spans your field of view.But OR 1 has terrible resolution (officially more, but to me felt like 320x200) and very noticeable black grid on top of it. Hopefully they solve the problem in version 2.

daekar

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
My only regret is that I'll likely need a new PC to push the frame rates required by OR. My wife might think I'm crazy, but I definitely see myself putting on that headset and using it while playing MechWarrior Online. The 3D sound memtioned on the Sony device is interesting too.

Lwells

Reputable
Mar 16, 2014
Yea, it won't be easy. I may not be financially ready to purchase 780 sli for a good oculus experience, but I am definitely getting myself mentally ready for that move.

Doug Lord

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
These both can be run by a PS 4 level gpu therefore both SUCK. Same as 3d on 1080p vs 4k. Call me when these can do 4k at 60+ hz, we have mainstream gpus that can drive it (<$200), and we have triple A games to play.

gmarsack

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
My only regret is that I'll likely need a new PC to push the frame rates required by OR. My wife might think I'm crazy, but I definitely see myself putting on that headset and using it while playing MechWarrior Online. The 3D sound memtioned on the Sony device is interesting too.
I too will be looking to do the same... upgrade PC, buy a Rift, play MWO, childhood dream realized.

jryder

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
How are consoles powerful enough for VR? I was under the impression that VR required very high-end CPU and GPU power in order to function in an acceptable manner.

jin_mtvt

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
I've been chating about Sony developping a VR headset for the new console since the first release of the HZM head mounted display. This product was obviously a ground test for a product of development as its price and features were not positioned correclty( as in Sony didn't care much .. something else was in mind already )It is very good to see Sony get on in the VR for the PS4 as Sony are making very smart moves lately ( since reorganization of the company goals ) slashing non profitable segments to focus on key product. We all see how well planned the PS4 was compared to the previous iteration.As for the Rift, they need to release a product soon, as soon as possible as they are pushing the limits of "in development ". So a 1080p spec is the only current possible solution as they need to get leverage from client base to push future development and hardwares, and probably 80% of possible clients do not have computers strong enough to push much pas 1080p. Who wants a nice VR set playing games at low detail settings? no the point here. Even if it gets out at sub 400USD$, forcing comsumers to upgrade a gpu at the same time ( let's say 200USD$+ ) may be out of reach for most. Finally, ABOUT FOOKIN TIME WE GET VR! here is my money..take it..takeit NOW !

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
It isn't 1080p times two though. It is (960 x1080) x2. It's effectively only pushing one 1080 screen.
While the first part is correct; rendering 2 960x1080 scenes (one for each viewpoint) is not the same as rendering 1 1920x1080 scene. The difference likely relies heavily on implementation specifics (game engine, api, drivers, and hardware); but I believe current rendering methods aren't able to handle rendering a single scene from 2 different view points in a single pipeline, since GPUs are massively parallel, the separation between the two renders means a big performance loss. I believe current APIs also require a duplication of draw calls, which puts a large burden on the CPU as well (and this burden is independent of resolution).I am hoping that AMD and/or nVidia are working on some hardware/software optimizations for 3d; from an outsider standpoint, it seems like dual-GPU architectures could be improved/specialized to provide performance improvements for stereoscopic rendering at a hardware level by allowing each GPU to render half of the scene in parallel.

dennisburke

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
This is the first time I've seen what screen viewing looks like. I thought the eyes looked directly at a screen display, but it looks like the display is viewed through lenses. Will the lenses be doppler adjustable for eye correction? I wear glasses.

ikaz

Distinguished
The Xbon one(and ps4) already tend to render sub 1080p and just upscale I don't see why they [MS] couldn't know this for the rift. Also could make there own hardware or license some from the rift if they wanted. Since Xbox has kinect they could make a cheaper version with out the needs for some of the senors (like tracking etc) since Kinect can do that. Once thing MS use to be good at is not inventing new tech but buying up a company that did and intergrating it into there software. If sony has spent 3+ yrs on delevoplement I think would be cheaper to just license the Rift tech to MS it would probably be good for both companies (as long as it just licensed).

Status
Not open for further replies.