Worried about heat in this build, opinions?

TheXstreamAngel

Reputable
Mar 19, 2014
I am trying to pick the right parts for my new, and first ever not off the shelf, build. But with the processor, ram, and vid card, I am worried about overheating or running it to hot. I run lot of programs at once, a couple of graphic intense programs, and spend a lot of time on the computer. Is this this a goBLUETOOTH: None
CAS: * Apevia X-Trooper Junior Mid-Tower Gaming Case Black/blkred & Side Panel Window [-80] (Black Color with Red LED Light)
CASUPGRADE: None
CD: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)
CD2: None
COOLANT: Standard Coolant
CPU: AMD FX-9370 4.40 GHz (4.7 GHz Turbo) Eight-Core AM3+ CPU 8MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology [+20]
CS_FAN: Maximum Corsair AIR Series AF120 Performance Edition 120MM High Airflow Case Fan [+29] (Maximum Corsair AIR Series AF120 Performance Edition 120MM High Airflow Case Fan)
FA_HDD: None
FAN: Cooler Master Seidon 120M Liquid Cooling CPU Cooler - Enhance Cooling Performance [-42] (Dual Standard 120MM Fans (Push-Pull) [+9])
FLASHMEDIA: None
FREEBIE_VC: None
HDD: 2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)
HDD2: None
HEADSET: Rocksoul Stereo Headphone with MIC
IUSB: Internal USB 3.0 4-Port Hub [+25]
KEYBOARD: (Keyboard & Mouse Combo) Cooler Master Storm Devastator Gaming Keyboard & Mouse Combo
MEMORY: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3/1866MHz Dual Channel Memory (ADATA XPG V2)
MONITOR: None
MONITOR2: None
MONITOR3: None
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z AMD 990 ATX w/ UEFI Bios, ROG Connect, SupremeFX III Audio, Intel GbLAN, 4 PCIe x16, 2 PCIe x1 [+150]
MOUSE: None
NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
OS: Microsoft® Windows 8.1 (64-bit Edition) + Office 365 FREE 30 Days Trial
OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
POWERSUPPLY: 800 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Certified Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready
RUSH: RUSH!!! READY TO SHIP IN 5 BUSINESS DAYS [+49]
SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR [3 Year Labor, 1 Year Parts] LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
SOFT1: McAfee AntiVirus Plus 2014 [+0]
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
SPEAKERS: None
TEMP: NZXT Sentry-2 Fan Touch Screen Fan Control & Temperature Display [+29]
TVRC: None
USBFLASH: None
USBHD: None
USBX: NZXT Internal USB 6-PORT Expansion Module [+19]
VIDEO: AMD Radeon R7 260X 2GB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video Card [-522] (Major Brand Powered by AMD)
VIDEO2: None
VIDEO3: None
WNC: GIGABYTE GC-WB867D-I 802.11AC Wi-Fi up to 867 Mbps + Bluetooth 4.0 Combo w/ Dual Antenna PCI-E Adapter [+29]od configuration? Do I have enough cooling?

That GPU is pretty low end and will not get hot at all.

The CPU on the other hand will pretty much overheat no matter what. It is VERY poorly designed. Just get an fx8350 instead.

DDR3 RAM does not even get warm so that is a non issue.

800w is WAY WAY WAY overkill here. 500w would be much more appropriate.

TheXstreamAngel

Reputable
Mar 19, 2014
What about the fx9590? That one is 4.7 (5.0 turbo)

AMD FX-9590 4.70 GHz (5.0GHz Turbo) Eight-Core AM3+ CPU 8MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology

And is this motherboard good and realiable?

I do not want to spend this much on a machine to have something go wrong and i am still in the process of learning more about them. Thank you so much!

The 9590 is even hotter.

Just get the fx8350. It is a GOOD CPU and will max all games. You won't even be able to fully use it in games anyway with that lower end GPU.

The motherboard is very good and overkill for your needs.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Drop the CPU to an fx8350, raise the gpu to a r9 280x or gtx 770 and drop the PSU to a good 650w. If sticking with liquid cooling, bump the CPU cooler up to the cm 140XL, if going air instead, a Noctua NF-D14, and you'll be able to overclock your CPU to the approximate levels of the 9370 CPU, and not hit near the same heat levels.

That will accomplish every requirement you stated easily.