Get I7 4770K now or wait?

davidn272007

Reputable
Mar 13, 2014
I've just received every component I wanted for my first gaming/editing rig. I originally got the Xeon-e3 1230v3 CPU because I didn't plan on OC now, but I got the MSI Z87I motherboard because it was a good deal and theres a chance to upgrade in the future if I do decide to OC. But then I discovered Microcenter and their crazy CPU sale (like the $199 sale of the 4770K last year). I've got to thinking if I wait out for a crazy discount like that I would be able to maximize my rig's potential on the same/cheaper budget, but I feel that would be a long wait.

Right now its $269 on Microcenter (though I would have to try and PM with Staples cause I don't live near one) which I hear is still a good price, so my question is should I try and get it for $269 or wait for something lower?

Mephikun

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2013
Stick with the Xeon for now. It's a solid CPU and will save you cash in the long run. Wait for the Haswell Refresh or Broadwell at least.

Also chances are Staples won't Price Match as Micro Center is a specialty store and it is technically a sale from them.

davidn272007

Reputable
Mar 13, 2014
Ok that sounds good! I was leaning back and forth so I needed someone else's opinion. Will Broadwell be able to fit in my motherboard if I choose to upgrade it later or will it need a different socket? Or is it too soon to ask?