Sign in with
Your question

how to transfer files made on PC running Windows XP and saved on memory stick to new laptop running Windows 8?

Last response: in Windows 8
March 20, 2014 1:47:06 AM

Transfer XP files on memory stick to laptop running Windows 8
March 20, 2014 10:27:21 AM

I don't understand the difficulty here. Just cut/copy the files from the memory stick and paste them to wherever you want on the new system. You can do this in Windows Explorer. You can also click-and-drag as well.
July 4, 2014 9:51:01 PM

digicat said:
I don't understand the difficulty here. Just cut/copy the files from the memory stick and paste them to wherever you want on the new system. You can do this in Windows Explorer. You can also click-and-drag as well.

This seems obvious enough. I don't think this is obvious to Windows however. When transferring My Document files from laptop and PC,via flashdrive, most files are not opening, instead display an "access denied" message. There were no particular security setting applied in either XP or Win7. There are thousands of files transferred to my new laptop and years of effort has gone down the Drain. I don't even know if there other methods of transfer that are hassle free.
It reinforces my contention that digital is the least reliable archiving method ever discovered.

July 6, 2014 8:45:28 AM

Thanks for your suggestion. I am however repeatedly getting "Error Applying Security" message.....Failed to enumerate objects...I was already listed as a principal with full control. I ticked the "replace all child object ....with inheritable permissions box for the folder as advised. When applying the error message shows up.
There must be some other way. As such this whole security thing appears to require a diploma course to understand!
Related resources
!