GPU or Monitor Problem? Please advise

Padzki

Honorable
Oct 13, 2013
Hi all,

I just recently saw stuttering horizontal lines on my monitor. Specifically on the left side. This happens when I hover my mouse pointer on an Icon on the left side most edge of my monitor.

- If I click/select the icon, the stuttering stops
-If I move the icon to the right, the stuttering stops

Please see my video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItgBW8SHsgM

FYI: I tried using FRAPS to record but the recorded video does not show the stuttering(wierd); so I used my phone instead

It seldom happens when I game or watch movies. But when it happens, it very annoying. It usually happens on the subtitles on movies.
A remedy that I used when it gets worst is to turn-off and on my monitor a couple of times and it lessens the stuttering.

Please advise if the problem resides with my GPU or my monitor.

MY GPU: R9 280x Vapor-X;
Monitor CHEMEI 23.6" LED monitor
PSU: Corsair RM850

Solution
Honestly, this isn't a smart-ass suggestion: Make sure the plug is seated on both sides. I had a similar frustrating issue with a monitor recently, and after trouble-shooting EVERTTHING, I discovered that the plug wasn't seated all the way into the monitor. Why did the mouse cause an issue? Because when I was moving it, the loop of cable from the mouse was pressing on the monitor cable and shifting it just a little bit. :)

Other things to check are to try a different monitor if you have one to rule out monitor-side issues and to also check the load and heat on the GFX card.

the_crippler

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
Honestly, this isn't a smart-ass suggestion: Make sure the plug is seated on both sides. I had a similar frustrating issue with a monitor recently, and after trouble-shooting EVERTTHING, I discovered that the plug wasn't seated all the way into the monitor. Why did the mouse cause an issue? Because when I was moving it, the loop of cable from the mouse was pressing on the monitor cable and shifting it just a little bit. :)

Other things to check are to try a different monitor if you have one to rule out monitor-side issues and to also check the load and heat on the GFX card.

Solution

Padzki

Honorable
Oct 13, 2013

Thanks for the quick reply. The fact that it's annoying as well as puzzling to me is it only happens if I mouse-over on an Icon/file on the left side most of the screen. -did you see my video? and if I transfer it to the right, it doesn't stutter.. really wierd. My GPU temps are fine as well as connections are intact. Could this be a GPU/Monitor problem?

the_crippler

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010

Yep, saw the video and it was similar to what I was experiencing with the loose plug.

Since that's eliminated, we need to check a few other things. Like the post above said, it could be the cable itself, so swap that out if you have an extra, just to see. The fact that you said that screen capture software didn't catch it tells us that it's something outside the software side of things, and likely not the card itself. I'd try a different cable and monitor if at all possible. Since you said the problem goes away with the monitor turned off for a time also points to the monitor (possible overheating somehow or failing internals. How old is the monitor?) It still could be the card - if no video/games/whatnot is running while you have the monitor off, it would be cooling down from a potential overheat as well, but you did say the levels are fine there....once again, leading back to the monitor.