Interesting issue with hard drive

Primetime18

Reputable
Mar 9, 2014
I have never seen something like this before. I currently am trying to hook up a 500 gb hard drive to my system. I currently only have my 120 gb ssd. I don't know how best to explain this because the way it is behaving is completely bizarre but here goes.

If my rig is off and I plug the hard drive in to sata power and data and then turn the computer on, neither the BIOS or Windows recognizes the hard drive. However, if I unhook the power to the drive with the machine up and running, and then plug it back in, i can feel the drive spin up, and if I then reboot the computer the hard drive works just fine. However, the next time I shut the computer off, the computer won't recognize the drive again.

If I plug in an old 80 gb hard drive that I have it works just like it should. This has me stumped. I have an 850w psu so I don't think it is a power issue. I have tried a couple of 500 gb drives as well.

Please advise.

Primetime18

Reputable
Mar 9, 2014

It is 64-bit Windows. I flashed the BIOS as part of my trouble shooting so it is current. The drive is formatted with NTFS and when I un-plug and plug back in the SATA power cable while the computer is running to get it to recognize the drive, the drive is fully functional as my E: Storage drive.

That is really weird!

The only other thing that I can suggest is to contact Tech Support for your MB maker. BTW, what MB do you have?

Yogi

Primetime18

Reputable
Mar 9, 2014

A Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128514