Crytek Adopts AMD's Mantle API for CRYENGINE

Status
Not open for further replies.

irish_adam

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
All other developers will use this tech to help reduce CPU over head Crytek will use it to suck more from your PC.They always see it as a challenge to build an engine that cannot be played at full settings without the IT budget of Google and preferably some liquid nitrogen. (not saying thats a bad thing though, they at least push he boundaries of PC hardware rather than pandering just to the consoles)

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
"Mantle will never take off". Well look here folks. Whether mantle works for your hardware or not, it's getting adopted and it's for the better. Nothing better than free software that can help boost performance and is OPTIONAL for everyone.

I love it, but pretty soon here microsoft will get enough momentum built up to make DX at least somewhat comparable, meaning that nvidia will have the advantage once again, at least if gsync takes off the way it should.That being said, I would much rather have an API that actually makes a difference for mid/high end hardware, especially those of us who do actually have good cpus.

David Dewis

Honorable
Jul 6, 2013
Despite the amount of skeptasism amoungst the pc comunnity, there must be a fairly substantial benefit to see this kind of adoption from big studios. Considering how poorly supported TressFX has been, i was worried this would flop. But now i really hope this takes off. It could make PC gaming cheaper for a those just wanting to get in, with people being able to save money on a lower end CPU and buy a better GPU.

Ahhhh you forget the folly of Crysis 2 that came out and had worse graphics than Crysis 1. Had half the size textures of Crysis 1 as well. That is until PC gamers made a huge stink and they released a HD texture pack and some other stuff.

Even Crytek can fall to the temptation of console monies.

Except that now we know DX12 and the next OGL is going to integrate the same low level access to them so which API do you think will win out? The one with the history and can easily be ported between console (XB1) and PC or the one that is PC exclusive and is newer meaning learning curve?

In the end DX will win out again.

I don't think Mantle will go anywhere and I currently have a HD7970 with plans to upgrade to a R9 290X, or I might just wait till the R9 390 series comes out.

Then again I look at history. DirectX will win out, it always has. Even OGL hasn't taken it down nor will it till it gets the constant support that DirectX does.

As well if the XB1 does well enough, and it will, it will also boost DirectX because the XB1 uses DX11.X and as well has a Windows 8 kernel. It will make porting to PC so much easier and they will also have better graphics options available to start.

David Dewis

Honorable
Jul 6, 2013

The biggest issue with Gsync is that you need a new, expensive monitor. Love the idea, but i hope DX12 adds more.

irish_adam

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
I love it, but pretty soon here microsoft will get enough momentum built up to make DX at least somewhat comparable, meaning that nvidia will have the advantage once again, at least if gsync takes off the way it should.That being said, I would much rather have an API that actually makes a difference for mid/high end hardware, especially those of us who do actually have good cpus.
Its still helps you with your processor, it means you will not have to upgrade so much. It will also mean that when you do upgrade you can spend more money on other components as you will not see the need to buy such a top end processor. Hell it may even bring down the cost of high end processors because of a lack of demand

That's true - however, I'm hoping that with higher resolutions finally starting to fall to the point where they might be considered, more people will begin to be interested in upgrading their monitor when they upgrade their computer.

I know that I'm most certainly going to be buying an ASUS Swift 1440p, 120Hz, G-sync monitor when I upgrade to a dual-maxwell 890.

You're right though, it's going to be slow on the adoption. I'm just hoping it's going to be slow and steady.

irish_adam

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
Ahhhh you forget the folly of Crysis 2 that came out and had worse graphics than Crysis 1. Had half the size textures of Crysis 1 as well. That is until PC gamers made a huge stink and they released a HD texture pack and some other stuff.Even Crytek can fall to the temptation of console monies.
Every game studio has to, considering the cost these days of making such games you could not turn a profit without them. My comment was obviously in jest. I just remember when the original crysis came out with i had 2 4850's and a heavily overclocked phenom and i still couldnt come close to maxing out the details. Honestly brought me to tears at how i was too poor to spend anymore at the time on my PC. Though i admit that crysis 2 was indeed poor, atleast they mostly made up for it in crysis 3

Sep 22, 2013
Wait, I thought Mantle was never going to be adopted by anyone and that AMD was just paying everyone off and the sky is falling and I'm an elitist who only likes the hardware I own because everyone else is wrong and I like the color green more than the color red and and and....
...said the elitist to the elitist.I'm all for Mantle, and I'm all for Nvidia doing the same and/or DX12 being everything MS is promising.I think the argument of "wait and see" regarding Mantle is still, well, wait and see. Crytek has contributed a total of 3 actual games of relevance in the last 5 years. I wouldn't call Mantle a major success by any means at this point.I for one, love my G-Sync/SLI setup, but I moved to this from a Crossfire setup, so no bias here. I think AMD makes a few killer products.Tom's showed the obvious benefits of Mantle the other day, but what they didn't show was the price vs. performance benefit of a Mantle-enabled card & game vs. an equivalently priced Nvidia card on the same game. But I don't think that's the killer-app factor here.What I think will either lead to Mantle's success or mediocre standing (I don't see full-on failure, but full-on adoption is far off, if ever) is going to be the success of DX12 and it's comparable affect on AMD performance. If it improves performance to nearly or better the equivalent of Mantle for both Nvidia and AMD, developers will question the relevance of Mantle.

qlum

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013
The thing about this api is even if it only works on 40% of the gaming gpu's it will still give that 40% better performance without missing features for the other gpu's so as long as that is the case I will still be in favor of more support. this unlike what nvidea is pushing with physx. Anyway I feel kind of sad for Star citizens trying hard to implement mantle only to hear its getting put inside cryengine anyway.

Haravikk

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
"Mantle will never take off". Well look here folks. Whether mantle works for your hardware or not, it's getting adopted and it's for the better. Nothing better than free software that can help boost performance and is OPTIONAL for everyone.
Thing is though is that both DirectX and OpenGL are going to get a lower-level, more direct to the hardware, interface as well, which seems to me like developing for Mantle is wasting time, when NVidia will presumably support the DirectX and OpenGL versions, as will Intel, and thus AMD will have to as well.This means that the only reason to support Mantle now is to take advantage of hardware that's available now, rather than stuff that will only get the support later on or waiting for a new generation. I suppose as a vehicle to drive the change across all APIs Mantle is a good thing, it just seems wasteful to develop with it since you'll have to do the same stuff for OpenGL and DirectX later anyway.Personally though I'd rather see an hybrid OpenGL and OpenCL standard that allows OpenGL engines to be partly implemented in OpenCL, so a lot of the logic and pipeline stuff is actually on the GPU, leaving the CPU to only signal updates and other important changes to this "on-GPU" game engine.

childofthekorn

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
Thing is though is that both DirectX and OpenGL are going to get a lower-level, more direct to the hardware, interface as well, which seems to me like developing for Mantle is wasting time, when NVidia will presumably support the DirectX and OpenGL versions, as will Intel, and thus AMD will have to as well.This means that the only reason to support Mantle now is to take advantage of hardware that's available now, rather than stuff that will only get the support later on or waiting for a new generation. I suppose as a vehicle to drive the change across all APIs Mantle is a good thing, it just seems wasteful to develop with it since you'll have to do the same stuff for OpenGL and DirectX later anyway.Personally though I'd rather see an hybrid OpenGL and OpenCL standard that allows OpenGL engines to be partly implemented in OpenCL, so a lot of the logic and pipeline stuff is actually on the GPU, leaving the CPU to only signal updates and other important changes to this "on-GPU" game engine.
Crytek must be run by a bunch of idiots then right? Why else would they do this when the games supporting it will probably be released after opengl/DX is updated.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Mantle is a temporary proprietary API that's bound to be supplemented in time. I'd rather see more OpenGL in general as I like open standards in general.

jin_mtvt

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
Crytek engine only 3 games.. wow ..what an insight ..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CryEngine#CryEngine_3 ... only 3 games enh! n00b Then , DarkSable : have you even looked at any of the Mantle benchmarks ?? You want to know why there is not much gain with good cpu/gpus combos ? Well its because there ISN'T any to be made. Mantle is not about booosting GPU performance solely, it is much more about offloading bottlenecking CPU and talking directly to GPU/drivers . There is NO magically hidden performance to be extirpated from your GPU. Strop dreaming about getting a 25% boost using software on high end hardwares that are already very optimized, not going to happen unless something was broken to start with.Mantle is about pushing possibilites on currently limited setups, and enabling future developers to easier balance use of CPU and GPUs .

Crytek just add support for Mantle API for their engine. but will it be used or utilized by any developer that licensing the engine (or crytek themselves) is another matter. as i said before i want to see Mantle to be used outside AMD Gaming Evolved program.

Status
Not open for further replies.