Arctic Cooling Freezer i30 design change or fake

chrysalis

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2003
So I got a Arctic Cooling Freezer i30

All reviews from 2012 including tomshardware show the 2 metal support pieces to have one screw hole to fix to the heatsink meaning they can install the 2 pieces first to the backplate and then the heatsink is screwed onto the 2 metal pieces after applying the MX4.

In my package the 2 metal support pieces have 2 screw holes each not at the center meaning not only is there 2 extra screws but more so the install procedure changes, as now the screws go in the other direction (bottom up) and have to be installed to the heatsink prior to putting the heatsink on the cpu. Meaning when the heatsink is put on the cpu its then putting those 2 peices on the placers (which are barely in place with that weak adhesive) and screwing in those 4 screws to the backplate whilst holding the heatsink.

So not only is it a harder proecdure with different parts in a cooler that isnt marked as a v or anything like that (effectively different to what advertised as reviews are free advertising) but also some of the bars on the heatsink were bent out of place and the fan after been turned on twice for about 10 mins each time is now noisy as if its failing.

I wish you guys would review retail units at least 3-6 months after release to test if quality is consistent with review samples sent out to you.

It sounds like you are making the process far harder than what it needs to be.

Once you have the backplate and mounting brackets installed, the worst you should have to put up with is holding the heatsink in place while attaching the heatsink to the mounting bracket. If you turn your case on its side, in a work area, you need only to set the heatsink in place, and then you have both your hands to screw it in.

As for the "bent bars", I would need to see a picture to know what you mean. If the heatsink itself is damaged, you should be able to send it back for a replacement. Same with the fan.

chrysalis

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2003
First of all realise the heatsink in the reviews is not the same as I have.

The 2 plates which screw on the back bracket have to now go on the heatsink first, not on the board first. So basically is no mounting brackets when installing the heatsink as they have to be attached to the heatsink first not the backplate, the backplate and placers are all only held by adhesive at the point of putting on the heatsink, understand now?

By the way it is now installed :) just pointing out the process was the hardest ever cooler I have installed and is more diffilcult than in all the 2012 reviews as they were a different install procedure.

In terms of the noise the best way to describe it is it makes a faint noise like a engine.

In terms of the damage I consider it minor so I ignored it, seems now days in the uk damaged pc hardware is common.

chrysalis

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2003
ok high res pic, note steps 4,5 and 6, the order they carried out and how step 4 is done with number of screw holes.

this is the i30 cooler freezer, even the retailer I got from had the old pic.

http://chrysalisnet.org/i30cooler.jpg

also thankfully I have a spare 120mm fan as I think I will be replacing the existing fan, still sounds like an engine.

Blimey! Now they install the rig similar to a Be Quiet! product. That does take about three arms to install; it probably gives better/more consistent results when installing, though. (Silver lining.)

What about the damage to the "bars" - is it possible to get an image of that?

chrysalis

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2003
not right now, might take it when I swap the fan.

the bars basically a few look damaged slightly bent upwards, on the flat side where fan is.

cant fault the cooling performance, considering haswell's are supposed to be hot chips, this is idling at 19C, whilst my i5 750 idled at 33C in same room, with same gpu etc.