Recently Getting BSODs - "SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION" And "DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL"

tubeman

Honorable
Mar 20, 2014
After having this PC for about three or four years, I have just started getting Blue Screen errors. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

The errors I have been getting are "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL 0x000000d1" (that one twice) and "SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION 0x0000003b" (so far just once).

I primarily use this PC for Microsoft Flight Simulator X (FSX), for which it was custom built by a computer company. It is overclocked (it was supplied that way) and has been stable the whole time. each timethis has happened, FSX has been running for about one to five hours.

I dont know where to begin with this. Please help!

Links to the minidump files:
http://www51.zippyshare.com/v/18506665/file.html
http://www51.zippyshare.com/v/36286322/file.html
http://www51.zippyshare.com/v/43939733/file.html

My system specs:
Processor: Intel core i7-930
Processor Cores: 4
Processor Speed: 3.7 GHz
RAM: 6GB Corsair Dominator GT DDR3 1866 MHZ C7 Triple Channel (running at 1700 MHZ)
Graphics card: EVGA GTX 580 1.5 GB
Mother Board: Gigabyte EX58-UD3R
Hard Drives: 2x120 and 2x60 GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
Monitor: Packard Bell 19" at 1920x1080, 2nd generic monitor at 1024x768
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
Yoke: Saitek Pro Flight
Rudder Pedals: Saitek Pro Flight
Other
Coolit Vantage ALC Liquid Cooler
Coolermaster Cosmos 1000 case
Onboard HD 7.1 Audio (5.1 in use)

tubeman

Honorable
Mar 20, 2014
Hi Scottie. I've monitored my CPU core temps, and they are normal. idle temps are typically 47-51 and under load around the mid 60's, peaking at about 67. This is when I'm playing FSX, which is extremely CPU intesive. GPU temps are also OK, and all fans are working as they should. The liquid cooler cotrolls its own fan speed, which is within its normal range, as is the coolant temperature. Case fans all operate normally, and the entire system including filters is clean.

I have run Memtest86+ without any errors detected.

Do the minidumps show any clues?

scottiemedic

Distinguished
I've read that it might be a possible driver mismatch with nVidia software. Uninstall the drivers for your GPU, clean up any files or folders not handled by the Uninstaller (or download Revo Uninstaller, it will uninstall and find traces leftover, great program), then install the latest nVidia drivers. Also check to make sure all other drivers are up to date (download them after doing the nVidia uninstall).

tubeman

Honorable
Mar 20, 2014
Thanks for your suggestions. I already upgraded to the latest nVidia driver after the first BSOD, but I didnt use any special uninstaller. I don't think the nVidia driver was causing it as it had been running fine for a while, with no system changes. However, some kind of driver may have been the cause.

There is a Sweex All In One card reader installed, which windows was reporting as having faulty drivers. I tried re-installing them, but the device still failed to start. I am going to try physically uninstalling and re-installing on a different connector when I have time, to see if it is a hardware failure, but for now I have simply disabled it via Device Manager. Also, I have uninstalled Zone Alarm free firewall and replaced it with the default Windows firewall, as that may have contributed to one of the BSODs, at least according to one website.

After taking those actions, I have been able to complete several long flight simulator sessions, including one where the PC was running for thirteen hours. So far, the BSODs have not happened again.

I can't definititely say it is cured right now as I probably need a few more long sessions, but it is looking promising.

tubeman

Honorable
Mar 20, 2014
Over three weeks now without any problems. I physically uninstalled the card reader after confirming that it had failed. The motherboard USB connector that it occupied is now serving its original purpose without trouble, and Zone Alarm is not going to return. Most likely the card reader was primarily to blame. I have continued to use the PC in the same manner as the BSOD's were happening, but, as I said, it has not happened again.

Scotty, thanks for your help. We can mark this one as solved.