S/PDIF Dolby Digital with PC gaming?

jason41987

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
id like to get dolby digital or at the very least, virtual surround sound to work with PC gaming.. i have a turtle beach earforce DSS which converts dolby digital signals to virtual surround sound and it worked very well on the xbox 360, but not on PC

so after doing some reading i learned that S/PDIF typically cant output dolby digital on the fly without a dolby digital live capable sound card which means for the time being i wont be playing PC games with surround sound

so im looking for solutions, im assuming theirs no software or wrapper that can provide the functions of a DDL sound card?.. nothing that can convert PC game surround sound signals (LPCM i believe) to a virtual surround sound without an external processor, and i dont care to get a bunch of PC speakers for analog surround sound either, i prefer to stick with a headphone solution

so.. what can i do to get these otherwise stereo headphones to play virtual surround sound the likes of which i experienced on the xbox 360.. what is my best solution?.. should i get a DDL capable sound card to convert LPCM to dolby digital on the fly and output via S/PDIF, or should i get a dolby headphone capable sound card and cut out the DSS box all together?

some information about my computer itself is that im using the MSI 970A-G46 motherboard which has analog 7.1 audio capabilities, an S/PDIF output, realtek hd audio.. less important information is that im running an AMD FX-8300 processor and AMD HD7950 graphics card

jason41987

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012

umm, wow.. that actually worked.. now have dolby digital live running on my realtek onboard chipset.. whenever i play audio it sends a dolby digital signal to my DSS box.. that was quite helpful.. when i listen to my own mic, i hear an echo though, probably because the signal is being split to multiple signals.. but when speaking to other people they dont hear it.. its all perfect now

now.. what would be the best solution if i wanted to get rid of this DSS box?.. is there some way i can achieve what i get through that with the built in sound card?