New 32/64GB Memory Build Assistance

Krael

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014
Greets:

So, I'm building a new machine that is designed specifically to store and crunch large amounts of data for statistically analysis. My current setup is really chugging due to the memory limitations where "out of memory" among other issues are cropping up.

Now, I need something with more memory capacity that can really store a good bulk of data in memory while it's being processed. Thus, the idea of building a machine with 64 GB or even 32 GB of memory came to mind.

With a machine with that much memory, someone mentioned to me that going dual socket would help with that much memory. But, from my understanding, that only means processing the data would be faster and not that my memory capacity would be limited right?

I plan on purchasing a fast processor, but the speed in which the data is processed is not a critical factor to me. The real problem I'm trying to solve is how much data I can load into the memory before it's processed. 8 to 16 GB is just not cutting it anymore.

Any insight would be great, especially on building such a memory intensive machine.

should be X79 socket to fit 8 slots of ram
you can start from here

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4930K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor ($576.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($229.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 64GB (8 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($670.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750 1GB Video Card ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill Fortress 450W 80+ Platinum Certified ATX Power Supply ($67.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $2010.89
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-21 02:54 EDT-0400)

Jaxem

Honorable
dual socket boards are pretty much all server boards, which probably isn't ideal. It does let you crunch faster, and let you use more memory (usually 4 slots per CPU, so double the norm), but the board alone is going to be very expensive, much less 2 new intel CPU's. A single newer intel CPU and 32 GB (the most many boards support) will probably be good

Krael

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014
@AMD Radeon: I was planning on going X79, but was aiming for the Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-E 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) to start. Would that be a problem as opposed to your suggested CPU?

@Jaxem: You mentioned "use more memory". That's what I was specifically trying to find out. If I use the above processor with 64 GB of ram, would the processor I chose limit how much of that 64 GB of ram I could use with 8 slots? If so, I guess that's why the dual socket was suggested. 4 slots per CPU like you mentioned.

Thanks for the responses guys. 32 GB is still an option I'm willing to take for sure.