Connecting 3x 1440p monitors to my single MSI 780 Ti

nime1312

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
Hi TomsHardware.

I have the following monitors and want to connect them all to my MSI 780 Ti:
- Qnix korean monitor - only allows DVI-D
- 2x Dell U2713HM - Only allows DVI-D or DisplayPort (HDMI only allows up to 1920x1080)

My GPU has 1 DVI-D, 1 DVI-I, 1 HDMI and 1 DP input, so obviously I've got a problem.

I've heard it's possible to "daisy chain" multiple monitors on the DisplayPort input, but I've only been able to find very expensive active adapters. Is this possible to do with a cheaper, passive one on displayport 1.2? And in that case, if anyone can link me such one I'd appreciate it.

I've also thought about the DVI-I port. Would it be possible to use this port for the second U2713HM? Would it be possible to convert the signal from DVI-D to DVI-I?

What about converting Displayport to DVI-I?

Any help?

Thanks a lot!

the_crippler

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
I had a similar issue on mine. I hooked one monitor to the DVI, one to the HDMI and one to the display port. Note: Some monitors require an active displayport adapter (something I learned the hard way back then.)

This is the one I used, and it worked just as advertised:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004071ZX0/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

EDIT: And, yes, since you don't want to use HDMI, you'd have to daisy-chain the DP monitors, but I unfortunately do not have experience with that.

the_crippler

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010

That's a DVI to DisplayPort adapter. I wasn't 100% sure if you meant your monitors had connections for both or not. If they have integral DP, you're good to go. (I'm just not sure what would be required to daisy chain them, though, as I've never had one that's DP-native.)

nime1312

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
The monitors have DVI-D, HDMI, DP and VGA. VGA and HDMI are out of the question due to aforementioned limitation, unfortunately.

So you're suggesting a passive DP -> DVI-I converter, as in DP in the monitor and DVI-I on the GPU? Did I understand correctly? :)

Thanks a lot

the_crippler

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010

Well...now you've lost me as well.

Two questions: Do your monitors have a DisplayPort jacks on them? Does you GFX card have a DisplayPort jack on it? If the answer to both of these is "Yes," then you shouldn't need a converter. If either of these is "no," then you will need some form of converter.

nime1312

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
The dell monitors have these ports:
DisplayPort 1.2
DVI-D
HDMI (this will only allow a low resolution)
VGA (just no...)

The GPU has these:
x1 DVI-D (used for the Korean monitor)
x1 DVI-I (doesn't work with any of the monitors)
x1 HDMI
x1 DisplayPort

So the korean monitor can only use DVI-D and the Dell monitors can only use DVI-D and DisplayPort.

Can I explain it differently?

the_crippler

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010

Which goes back to what I said earlier: Use one DVI connector, and then daisy-chain the DisplayPort monitors. It should work, but I've never done it.

This is what the googles gave me on that part, and it seems pretty clear, so hopefully that can help you with that part of the equation:

http://www.displayport.org/cables/driving-multiple-displays-from-a-single-displayport-output/