Power supply 8 pin issue

ambz00

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2009
Hi,

I apologized if this has already been asked but I've been searching and can't find the answer.

I have a Xion 850w power supply which has 2 - 8 pin pci-e slots, and I also have a gigabyte nvidia 770gtx graphics card which is also 2 - 8 pin pci-e slotted. I have been having a difficult time because the power supply only came with one 6pin - 8pin pci-e cable and one 8pin - 8pin pci-e cable. I've tired ordering 2 different 8 pin to 8 pin pci-e cables from separate companies that I purchased and neither worked. I will plug them in and turn on the computer and it says "please plug in the appropriate pci-e cables for the graphics card". Should I get a 6pin - 8pin adapter to plug my 6 pin cord into the power supply? I'm not sure what I should do and I'm getting extremely frustrated.

Thank you.

ambz00

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2009

It has 2 red 8 pin pci-e slots. It's really weird that I wasn't sent 2 6+2pin - 8pin pci-e cables but they for whatever reason didn't. They are very hard to find and the ones I've tried haven't worked. I'm really surprised about this, I wasn't able to tell from the information that I wasn't getting the correct cables, I wouldn't have purchased the power supply if I had known that. I want to get the adapter but I'm almost afraid to keep spending money and have it not work.

ambz00

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2009

It has 4 6pin I believe, which is being used for the motherboard and hard drive and such, and 2 red 8 pin pci-e. It should be able to still be returned because it is from tigerdirect, if the converter doesn't work I will be returning it, thanks for the help.

ambz00

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2009

Sorry to confuse, I don't know the best terminology for computer parts, but yes those are what I'm talking about. I wish I had known it had bad reviews on newegg, I bought the psu from tigerdirect and it had great reviews, I only buy products that do have good reviews. I'm not with the psu at the moment which is why I'm not the best at answering, but it has 2 red pci-e slots that are 8 pin and are for the graphics card which is 8 pin as well. I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna return the psu.

ambz00

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2009

Thank you, I appreciate it. It still baffles me that a psu wouldn't come with 2 8 pin - 8 pin pci-e cables if it is 8 pin only. I wish I had a picture to show, because I can't find one online. Thank you though.

ambz00

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2009

Thank you, I am returning the psu. I just need to find another so thank you for the help.