2 broken HDD, please help

shadow02

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014
Hello,

I have 2 HDD with problems, I have all off my data there so I hope you can help me, I need them to work just for day or two as I will move all data to another HDD.

First is seagate baracuda 7200.10 ST3300620AS, when I turn this one on, some times it starts to knock a few times then it stops knocking and the disc spins fine, but the problem is that I cannot connect with sata conection any more, in the past I manage to find the correct position of sata cabel and it worked fine until I doing something and I droped second one on the floor and moved the cable on this one.

The second one is Samsung SP2514N and I have droped this one on the floor after that when I try to start it, it starts to knock for 5-6 times realy quick, then there was no knocking for 1 second and then the knocking repeated for 7 or 8 times, after that all stoped and the HDD did not start, but today I opened it and discover that spindl is stuck so I fix that and it spins now (its just a little bit loud) but the problem now is that there is a knockink noise the heads are going left and right, left and right, I didnt touch the heads when I unstuck the motor.

As you can see I lost both discs and all of my data at the same day so I hope somebody knows what the problem might be, if you need anything else pictures, video or something else I can give you.

jbseven

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
shadow02,
fixing a hard drive with knocking/clicking requires working in a clean room (completely and professionally dust free environment), and usually requires a replacement drive head from as similar a hard drive that can be found. your best bet is to NOT connect the hard drive ever again (or you will lose your data) and to take it to a professional hard drive recovery centre.

shadow02

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014

No that one I didnt opened it just one day stoped to work (my computor didnt recognized it any more) the knocking was just some times not always and when there was a knocking it knoced a few times and then it stoped and worked normaly, I opened the second one which fell on the floor and I dicovered the motor was not spinning.

jbseven
Yes I know that it need a clean room but if I had some very important data on them I wouldnt do it my self I would defenatly go to profesionalls, I have called them them they said they charge 30eur per one hdd just to diagnose the problem and after that who knows how much would it cost to repair or to save the data, and the data on them isnt so important that I would need to pay 100s of euro to get it.

So there is defenatly no quick fix I could do it on my own so I could get some of my data.