2010 Chevy Malibu Remote Starter Troubleshooting

danny9732

Reputable
Mar 23, 2014
What is shown in this picture I attached is my broken remote starter. I have already tried replacing the battery as to which doesn't help my situation. A friend suggested that I could re-wire my starter but how much trouble would I have to go through instead of buying a new key? He told me I would need to solder the board within the starter.. but I'm not a genius on electronics..
1zqsroj.jpg

2zftkr6.jpg

2qns4mw.jpg

Solution
All you need to do is take a soldering iron to the solder for the battery tray. Thats pretty common and an easy fix. If you do buy a new one from the dealer, the part runs about about $100 and they will also charge you another $100 to reprogram your car to recognize the new transmitter.

I would try reseating the tray first. It works 90% of the time. Then you wont have to worry about programming.

Dom_79

Distinguished
A lot faster, easier (and If you aren't going to get the parts from a wrecker and do it all yourself) cheaper to just get a new one from the dealership.

Also a bit more than just soldering a different chip on one board is required to use a different starter key.

jimmythekid1

Reputable
Apr 17, 2014
All you need to do is take a soldering iron to the solder for the battery tray. Thats pretty common and an easy fix. If you do buy a new one from the dealer, the part runs about about $100 and they will also charge you another $100 to reprogram your car to recognize the new transmitter.

I would try reseating the tray first. It works 90% of the time. Then you wont have to worry about programming.

Solution