How often do i need to scan my system with this particular program?

Legolas8181

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2013
I scan my laptop twice in the morning and twice at night with Avdanced SystemCare Ultimate 7 and every single time it picks stuff up first time, then 2nd time round it still picks things p but it is quite a bit less. I also scan every couple of days with Iobit's Driver Booster and Smart Defrag.

matt20020

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013
I wouldn't use any of them if i was you they'll slow your computer down always best to stick to the simple stuff. I use microsoftsecurity essentials for virus and spyware scans and only need to carry out a scan once every few days as it has auto protect to, never really had a bad virus and been using it for over a year now and its free. You can get that from here

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/security/pc-security/mse.aspx

With regards to defragmenting your disk just right click on you C drive got ot properties then tools and you can carry out disk defragmentation and error checking through this.

If you need to carry out a disk clean up the best way is to just use the disk clean up utility in windows, can be found under programs, accessories then tools i think.

Before you do any of this make sure you uninstall the software your using at the moment then install security essentials, update the virus definitions on it then run a scan, also use windows firewall in line with this and you should be fine!

matt20020

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013
Another good tip is to check through add/remove programs which can be located in your control panel for any advertising software, maybe check this once a week, and uninstall any unusual programs that you know you havn't installed yourself.

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
Follow this guide for removing viruses/malware - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/8263-63-simple-free-guide-removing-malware

You should only really need to scan your PC around once a month for viruses and malware, the same with disk defragmenter, unless you download stuff all the time and remove or add files to your hard drive you shouldn't need to defrag that much. Doing excessive scans like this would just only wear out your hard drive faster and cause premature failure. If your constantly visiting sketchy sites that you don't know of, that's pretty much the only time you should be scanning your PC but i'd avoid clicking on any unknown sites or email links. Especially since most of the junk mail could have a virus/malware in it. If you take regular precautions while surfing the internet you shouldn't have to run a scan for viruses/malware much more then once a month or even longer then that. It's up to you but if you don't typically run into viruses then there really shouldn't be much reason to run daily scans. At the very least weekly scans are good enough imo. If you got a good AV scanner that will block viruses before they get to your computer you got a good AV scanner and don't need to run a scan daily.