Minimal system for running a backup server

dbbd

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
I'd like to build a miniature system that will serve as a remote backup system.
The idea is to take some single board computer, capable of running Linux, and connect it to a hard-drive (either USB or SATA).

The system will run rsync server, and will be used as a remote backup server.
It does not need a GPU at all since most work on it will be done over ssh (but will probably need something for initial setup).

A Raspberry pi would do, but it has a strong GPU, so perhaps I can find something in the same price range with more power on the CPU side (not that it needs too much of that).

Size is important - I could use several old computers, but they are too large, run too hot (require cooling). Use too much electricity, and are too noisy. I'm looking for the opposite of all of the above.

Cost is important as well. A working raspberry pi (power supply, sd card, box & the pi itself) are about $75. Anything less then that is better.

Thanks,
Dan

Nuclear101

Honorable
No. A raspberry Pi cannot run a server due to lack of any SATA ports. All it can do is store files on the SD card. It was created as a small, portable computer that can barely run Linux. If you have several old computers, try selling them and use this build I configured with as many of the same hard drives as you want (if you want RAID 1 which is what I highly recommend if data is essential): http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3eYz4 Remove the stock fans and add the Corsair SP 120 Quiet Editions if you want, but it's optional.

dbbd

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008

A Raspberry has a USB port. It has no problem mounting it, and acting as a server.
Your answer is traditional and close-minded. It proposes the exact opposite of what I specifically explained I want to do. I bet the silent Corsair you suggest costs more then my whole budget. Also, RAID 1 or any RAID is traditional crap. Several of the last FAST conferences had articles that demonstrated the futility of hardware protection for data. Replicating the data is the new name of the game. Dropping one or two remote rsync servers that cost next to nothing will give me a higher reliability, including DR reliability compared to the traditional methods.

dbbd

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008

Looks interesting. I see it has 2GB onboard flash. Is that used for booting?
Anyway, I'll keep looking at this.

monica blake

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014
You may not need a system at all. If you want to make proper backup – do it at source, and keep only storage remotely. Most of basic NAS, like Lenovo IX4-300D can provide remote access through FTP, SFTP or NFS.

And of course, rsync is too old school. Use disk imaging. You will backup open files through snapshots, and you will get incremental backup, so no worries on your bandwidth.

Things like Acronis Backup(http://www.acronis.com/en-eu/) are very good at snapshotting Linux.