Trying to Stay around 1600 For a New Gaming/Video Editing System

kageryu01

Reputable
Mar 23, 2014
Hi,

Please take a look and freely critique my build:
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/kageryu/saved/48zX

Any advice would be appreciated. I already have a monitor and mouse. I plan on using one of the HDs for storage and one for backup. The OS will be loaded onto the SSD along with a few apps and games. I would love an ASUS MB, but I'm having trouble finding one that has 2 USB3 headers.

I'm not married to any of these choices, it was just my first attempt at putting together something that made sense to me.

I hope to pull the trigger soon.

Thanks,
Phil

Vnxc

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2014
Looks good. Overall great parts. SSD is a great option.
Couple of points for you to consider..
1.Are you looking to Overclock the CPU? You'll need a ****K CPU for that.
2. How come the two optical drives?
3. Your board is an Micro ATX but the case can handle Full ATX.
4 The PSU will handle everything ok, but if you upgrade you may want something different.
5. do you need the extra 1TB drive? can you do with one?

kageryu01

Reputable
Mar 23, 2014
Hi Vnxc,

Thanks for your input.
1. I wasn't looking to OC the CPU. I don't have much experience with this and would be nervous about destabilizing my system.
2. I always buy a cheap optical drive to run games off of and only use the more expensive burner to actually burn.
3. I didn't realize that. I'll look at the full ATX boards.
4. What would you recommend to be upgrade safe?
5. I could do with one. My plan is to use one HD for storage to make up for the smaller SSD. The second HD would be used for internal backups and system images. I would also use a cloud system for offsite backups. I know, I know, but it's not paranoia if you are right :)

Any other suggestions or comments?

Thanks,
Phil

Vnxc

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2014
2. There is logic in that, however optical drives a reasonably cheap nowadays so having just one will save you some money.
4. The PSU you chose is fine i own one of those personally, It was just something to keep in mind. Something like the RM850w from corsair for example.
5. Again there is logic in that. Windows 8.1 64bit only uses 20GB of space leaving 230GB on the SSD for games programs etc. Then you have the 1000GB for storage/programs etc and the cloud.