Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How to connect my wifi tablet to wired internet in hotel room?

Last response: in Tablets
March 23, 2014 2:13:48 PM

I am trying to switch from slow netbook to a Samsung tablet when travelling abroad. Many hotels rooms have wifi but others only have a phone jack to connect to internet. Is there a device i can buy to make this happen?
March 23, 2014 2:25:02 PM

Tablets don't usually have a nic card, so you probably have to have some wireless signal for it to connect to. See if the hotel has wireless.
m
l
March 23, 2014 2:33:42 PM

Tablets don't include a 'port' to connect a extra card into like a laptop might for the ETHERNET (the telephone looking cable that is bigger). IF your tablet has USB slot there is USB to Ethernet adapters out there, BestBuy, Fry's Electronics, and such would carry them. They are a bit rare these days though you may need to try Amazon instead.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

March 26, 2014 3:27:35 AM

I recommend to buy the All-in-One Wireless-N Pocket Router from Asus that you can connect to the Ethernet cable of your hotel room and will create a private wifi hotspot for your tablet. This cost less than $35.

More details on http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/10/tnhyui-hotel-wif...
March 26, 2014 5:50:49 AM

thank for your help. i have found an ethernet adapter (on sale at best buy online for $10) and will look into the asus pocket router. there is some question as to whether the samsung galaxy tab3 will support either of these; samsung has said both yes and no. will just have to try it out. i am very appreciative for your assistance.
m
l
March 26, 2014 6:19:56 AM

you're welcome. I can't say for the ethernet adapter but I'm sure the Asus pocket router will work as it creates a standard wifi signal.
m
l
!