Case and PSU advice + will this build last

Bunglewungle

Reputable
Mar 24, 2014
I haven't built a system in a long time as I tend to do what I'm doing now.

My intention is to build the below rig. It will hopefully last me at least 5 years and I have it set up for future SLI and storage expansion if and when required.

The system will be used primarily for performance gaming. My intention is to eventually have it connected up to a 3D TV/Monitor and use it for movies as well. I would love to get some 3D gaming on the go in a couple of years.

Since I haven't done this in a fair while I feel a little less confident than I used to so I need a some advice about what PSU to get (I prefer modular if possible since I like to keep things tidy) and also some advice about a case.

My lack of confidence with the case is that a lot of what I've seen on-line people are having to do some pretty extensive work to get the radiator to fit properly and to be honest.. that scares the jebus out of me. So.. here's what I have so far.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3fpxx

Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (Overclocked to 4.4GHz)
Corsair H100i Liquid CPU Cooler
Asus Maximus VI Formula Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory
2 X Crucial M500 480GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)

Do you think this build will last and what would your recommendations be for improvements? Should I ditch the H100i for something else? I've saved up for this so I don't mind spending the money but I would like it to last without needing huge overhauls.

Thanks for your advice.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
I added a case (=red/black) and psu,

PCPartPicker part list

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($329.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($98.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Formula ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($299.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($154.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($109.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($109.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Crucial M500 480GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($227.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($489.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.78 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $2137.70
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-24 09:11 EDT-0400)

Changed some other stuff too,just to show you,same components but cheaper.

You could also look at the next case,
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-case-cc9011048ww
or
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/nzxt-case-caph530w1
both can be found in different colors.The nzxt also.

for still cheaper ram that will fit the color scheme,
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f314900cl10d16gbxl

for a gpu that will fit the color schem and is even cheaper,
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-n780tf3gd5oc
a good brand too.

In the end with cases is look for something that you like,i tried to give some really different options to show what is there.

Bunglewungle

Reputable
Mar 24, 2014

Some really nice cases, thank you. I'll look into each of them. My worry was more along the lines of whether everything will fit OK. Looking through the build vids I've watched more than half of them had problems getting everything to fit into the cases that they had when they had a build with this motherboard and hydro cooler with some having to make new bolt holes etc so that everything fitted. Do you think that would be an issue with any of these cases or am I making a bigger deal out of it than I should?

The reason that I have went with Corsair for the RAM was for the lifetime guarantee which I don't see with G-skill and I don't mind spending a little extra for the peace of mind.

Similar with the EVGA GPU. According to comparisons they are top of the game and the support is meant to be phenomenal with EVGA as is the warranty.

And how do you see the system lasting? With the ability for me to SLi another GTX780 or upgrade the card do you think the system will still be pushing out some numbers in a few years time? I know no-one can predict how things will go especially with tech but I don't want to need to do a huge overhaul in 3 or 4 years because it isn't holding it's own any more.

Also, was the reason for the change in SSD for raid set-up? I don't have any experience in that but I assume it's simple enough.

You can save a lot of money and get much more performance, with room to expand (SLI, storage) in the future. You're way overspending in a lot of places:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($329.98 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($102.74 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-HD3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($129.49 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M500 480GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($227.00 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($82.98 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Video Card ($644.88 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($84.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1893.00
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-25 17:00 EDT-0400)

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
The gskill ram has also a lifetime warranty,
http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-1600c9d-16gar

I also chose an evga 780 in my build.just one that's cheaper.

Like you said,how long the system will last is anyones guess,but with the option to go sli or just upgrade the gpu and overclock the cpu should you be fine for quite a while i think (and what's that do you think :p).

About the ssd,i didn't realize that you wanted to go for a raid set-up and why would you.I just wanted to point out that 2x240gb is less expensive than 1x480gb.
Ssd's are already very fast so i don't see the point of a raid 0 except for benchmark purposes (maybe just me though) and for back-up purposes could you go for 4x240,pay less and have more options.

For the h100i to fit look at the next and see if it gives you the answer you need.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP85Zo-E55I
with a 2011 motherboard does it seem to fit,that doesn't have that big vrm cooling though,the cooler seems to be offset (?) to the window side of the case so that should give some room.From what i see should it fitt,but look carefully.