Upgrading old PC... what else should I upgrade?

rswain823

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2010
I just started replacing parts of my old system... it's almost all new now. Just wondering what (if anything) is worth replacing now to gain PC game performance. I am gaming on a 1920x1080p monitor. (Games like Metro 2033, Skyrim, Rust, Splintercell:Blacklist)

NEW PARTS
Asus Maximus VI Hero Motherboard
i7-4770k Intel Chip (can overclock easily)
Corsair H75 CPU Cooler
Samsung SSD 840 EVO - 250GB
EVGA GTX 770 SC 2GB

OLD PARTS
Caviar Black - 1TB (secondary drive)
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 2x4GB DDR3 1600
Antec 1200 case
Antec TruePower Quattro 1000W Power Supply

Do you think it would be worth it to change out my memory for faster memory or downgrade my power supply?

rswain823

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2010
Would I save on my energy bill by doing this? Do you know if getting faster memory would improve the minimum fps on my system or is that a myth not worrying about for the extra $150?

There is not much difference when it comes to wattage on the PSU when talking about electricity bill, it is the 80+ efficiency that matters. If you want to save a bit, go for a 80+ gold PSU or higher.
Your pc build won't use 650W.
For example, a XFX 650W PSU - your pc will pull under that but it is always better to have some headroom when powering your pc. Your pc doesn't run 650W. It is just stating that the PSU is rated to be capable of pull 650W constantly from your wall socket.

The ram speed is not worth it yet. you won't get a large improvement for gaming. Your current ram is sufficient for your needs. You have already got a good GPU for 1080p gaming. Ram doesn't affect much in gaming now, only mainly the gpu and the cpu. Your cpu is fine but it is overkill for purely gaming. If you want to save some money, you can drop to an i5 4670K. the i5 is the same as the i7 but doesn't have hyperthreading.
Right now the GTX 770 is pretty good for max settings on 1080p on most games, you could stretch to a 780 if you want but it is not necessary. You really should only upgrade when you personally feel that your pc doesn't perform to what you expect.

Dragster1254

Commendable
Mar 18, 2016
you could get a Corsair Rm 650
PSU and u could get 2 more sticks of gskill 4Gb ram or If you wanted you could get a 16 Gb kit of Corsair Vengeance or Kingston HyperX