New mobo, PSU - starts for half a second, fans go slowly for 25s, stops for 5s, and then retries

drb01

Reputable
Mar 24, 2014
My old PC failed (PSU and mobo according to the original PC manufacturer) so I bought a new mobo (Gigabyte H77M-D3H), Corsair PSU and CPU fan. When I turn it on the fans start for a split second, then goes very slowly for another 25s, stops for 5s and then the whole thing tries again.

I have disconnected everything, right down to mobo, CPU, fan, and power switch. I have taken the mobo out to ensure no shorts. Tried it with/without memory and tried the 2 memory cards in different pairs of slots. I also tried some compressed air on the CPU to make sure there was no dust. But it always does the same thing.

I tested the voltages of the PSU pins (the +/-12V are +12.38/-11, but I gather this is within tolerances).

I also cleared the CMOS, which seems to have reduced the cycle to 20secs, but otherwise much the same.

Any idea what could be going on? Or what to test next? I guess I can send all the new parts back to the online shop but doubt they will accept them now they are out of the packaging.

drb01

Reputable
Mar 24, 2014
Thanks very much. But how do I know it is not a faulty CPU / PSU / RAM, or would those all give some sort of beep?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
In all actuality, you don't. But the most obvious culprit is the MB since it controls the devices plugged into it. I build a lot of PCs, and that happens occasionally to me too. I usually return the MB for a new one and the issue is solved.
Still, it could be the cooler's fan itself. I have had that happen as well. Without other parts to swap out for testing, it would be impossible to know for 100% certain.

drb01

Reputable
Mar 24, 2014
Wow, this could get expensive! I have done something stupid though - I didn't plug anything into the speaker jumpers - there doesn't seem to be anything, so that might explain the lack of beeps. However the fan only goes for 1/2 a second so clearly something pretty basic.

Out of interest, would it at least do something (i.e. beep, or fan spin) if (a) no RAM installed, or (b) no fan installed, or (c) no CPU/fan installed?

Will RMA the mobo as you suggest ..

drb01

Reputable
Mar 24, 2014
there doesn't appear to be a speaker on the front panel - it has all the LEDs, power sw, reset sw, USB, audio jacks, but no beep speaker. Is there a way I can make a makeshift one? Or even just attach a voltmeter to the speaker pins?

drb01

Reputable
Mar 24, 2014
cool - will get one. But since this thing seems to be dying in under a second, I presumably won't get a beep anyway?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
A single short beep is the code for A-OK. Anything else will depend on that BIOS's beep codes. If you hear no beep with the speaker correctly plugged in, it could mean any number of things, including the cheap little piezo tweeter isn't working.

drb01

Reputable
Mar 24, 2014
well I get 6 long beeps a second or two after turning on the power. This is CPU, CPU Fan and RAM installed (it has onboard graphics). I tried switching between two DIMMs in different slots which made no difference. If I take the RAM out altogether then I get continuous short beeps.

Trying to find what these beep codes mean seems impossible. It certainly isn't in the manual. It is AMI EFI BIOS, and tried their website, as well as generally searching the forums, but nowhere has vaguely convincing information!

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
You sound like you are troubleshooting the MB in breadboard-like fashion. i.e... board on an insulated surface with just CPU/cooler, RAM, PSU, KB, mouse connected and the monitor connected to integrated video ports. Starting by momentarily shorting the 2 pins the case's power button would connect to. Correct?

What Processor and memory are you using? And if this is your MB, which revision is it? http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4143#ov
Oh, and are you using a wireless KB, USB, PS2?

drb01

Reputable
Mar 24, 2014
Yes, except I have given up trying it with a monitor, keyboard or mouse, although I did originally try it with all that. Since then I have stripped it right back to CPU, RAM, CPU Fan, Speaker and little power switch.

That is the right board, rev 1.1.

I have an intel i3-2100 3.1GHz, and the RAM is 2 x 2GB DDR3:
Elixir M2Y2G64CB8HC5N-CG 1110.TW
2GB.2Rx8.PC3-10600U-9-10-B0.1333

drb01

Reputable
Mar 24, 2014
Oh, and the keyboard I did use is not wireless (round purple plug), and I never tried a mouse, although my mouse is wireless..

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I thought maybe you might need a BIOS update to recognize a newer processor. But the i3-2100 should be recognized from the very first BIOS.

Is it possible the old PC/PSU died and damaged the CPU when it did? If you think that is out of the question, then I am back to a defective MB. If this is the first time you have tried to put the MB in service, it would seem all the more possible that is the problem. I have had to RMA several MBs over the years while building for myself or others.

drb01

Reputable
Mar 24, 2014
Thanks very much for your help. It is my second time, and the first time it just worked. I am RMA'ing the mobo, and ordered a new mobo, CPU and RAM. I'll have to go through a process of elimination, and hopefully send 90% of it back. Frankly I'll have a new PC at this rate, and probably should have just upgraded all the components to something more modern, keeping the case and the drives, but then I didn't know it wouldn't work at the beginning.

It's a bit frustrating that the beep codes don't seem to be published anywhere

drb01

Reputable
Mar 24, 2014
Well, it turned out to be the mobo. Replaced that and everything is working fine now, fingers x'd.
Thanks v much for your help with this...