Dual Monitor setup not working?

intoxicatedpenguin

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014
Hello! Recently I noticed I had an pretty old monitor lying around, and decided to try and get a dual monitor setup. I've got an reference Sapphire R9 290, and that has a DVI-D and HDMI out. My main monitor is using an HDMI cable and this monitor only accepts VGA, so I'm trying to use a DVI-D to VGA adapter. Windows nor catalyst is recognizing the second monitor. Any thoughts as to why this wouldn't work? Also, if I'm in the wrong section, would someone be so kind as to direct me to the correct one? Thanks!

edit: I have restarted my computer to no effect. The monitor did not boot up during computer boot, didn't display anything. I have checked the cabling, and the power lights are on.

Solution
To the best of my knowledge DVI-D is DVI-Digital and to be compatible with analogue (VGA) it would need to be DVI-I (Integrated digital and analogue).

Sorry to say but your GPU doesn't support analogue displays.

Dom_79

Distinguished
To the best of my knowledge DVI-D is DVI-Digital and to be compatible with analogue (VGA) it would need to be DVI-I (Integrated digital and analogue).

Sorry to say but your GPU doesn't support analogue displays.

Solution

intoxicatedpenguin

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014

Okay. Thank you for that info. Are there any other options as to get this working with a VGA cable? I don't want to use it for eyefinity, if that makes a difference, just an extended desktop type situation.

Dom_79

Distinguished
Unfortunately your GPU simply does not "output" in Analogue. I believe there might be some Digital (DVI) to Analogue(VGA) converters but they may be quite pricey. Some of the results I got with a quick google search were near 190$. You could get a very decent 1920x1080 monitor (with digital support of course) for less.

intoxicatedpenguin

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014

Okay, thank you for the help.

intoxicatedpenguin

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014

Well, I've gotten it working with a cheap $10 DVI to VGA active from Hong Kong. Honestly I'm surprised it works.
(This is more to anyone that has the same issue/wanting to do this in the future that comes across this)

intoxicatedpenguin

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014

Oh my bad. I'm sorry. It's a displayport to VGA. Also, sorry for the long ass response.

TRENDING THREADS