Solved

Dual Monitor setup not working?

Hello! Recently I noticed I had an pretty old monitor lying around, and decided to try and get a dual monitor setup. I've got an reference Sapphire R9 290, and that has a DVI-D and HDMI out. My main monitor is using an HDMI cable and this monitor only accepts VGA, so I'm trying to use a DVI-D to VGA adapter. Windows nor catalyst is recognizing the second monitor. Any thoughts as to why this wouldn't work? Also, if I'm in the wrong section, would someone be so kind as to direct me to the correct one? Thanks!

edit: I have restarted my computer to no effect. The monitor did not boot up during computer boot, didn't display anything. I have checked the cabling, and the power lights are on.
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about dual monitor setup working
  1. Best answer
    To the best of my knowledge DVI-D is DVI-Digital and to be compatible with analogue (VGA) it would need to be DVI-I (Integrated digital and analogue).

    Sorry to say but your GPU doesn't support analogue displays.
  2. Dom_79 said:
    To the best of my knowledge DVI-D is DVI-Digital and to be compatible with analogue (VGA) it would need to be DVI-I (Integrated digital and analogue).

    Sorry to say but your GPU doesn't support analogue displays.


    Okay. Thank you for that info. Are there any other options as to get this working with a VGA cable? I don't want to use it for eyefinity, if that makes a difference, just an extended desktop type situation.
  3. Unfortunately your GPU simply does not "output" in Analogue. I believe there might be some Digital (DVI) to Analogue(VGA) converters but they may be quite pricey. Some of the results I got with a quick google search were near 190$. You could get a very decent 1920x1080 monitor (with digital support of course) for less.
  4. Dom_79 said:
    Unfortunately your GPU simply does not "output" in Analogue. I believe there might be some Digital (DVI) to Analogue(VGA) converters but they may be quite pricey. Some of the results I got with a quick google search were near 190$. You could get a very decent 1920x1080 monitor (with digital support of course) for less.


    Okay, thank you for the help.
  5. intoxicatedpenguin said:
    Dom_79 said:
    Unfortunately your GPU simply does not "output" in Analogue. I believe there might be some Digital (DVI) to Analogue(VGA) converters but they may be quite pricey. Some of the results I got with a quick google search were near 190$. You could get a very decent 1920x1080 monitor (with digital support of course) for less.


    Well, I've gotten it working with a cheap $10 DVI to VGA active from Hong Kong. Honestly I'm surprised it works.
    (This is more to anyone that has the same issue/wanting to do this in the future that comes across this)


    Can you give a link to it? I'm curious to see how they did it, since the plugs on your card only output digital and is not normally meant to be compatible. Now that I think about it, I might have heard someone else get an adapters similar or like this that worked before.
  6. Dom_79 said:
    Unfortunately your GPU simply does not "output" in Analogue. I believe there might be some Digital (DVI) to Analogue(VGA) converters but they may be quite pricey. Some of the results I got with a quick google search were near 190$. You could get a very decent 1920x1080 monitor (with digital support of course) for less.


    Well, I've gotten it working with a cheap $10 DVI to VGA active from Hong Kong. Honestly I'm surprised it works.
    (This is more to anyone that has the same issue/wanting to do this in the future that comes across this)
  7. KevinAr18 said:
    intoxicatedpenguin said:
    Dom_79 said:
    Unfortunately your GPU simply does not "output" in Analogue. I believe there might be some Digital (DVI) to Analogue(VGA) converters but they may be quite pricey. Some of the results I got with a quick google search were near 190$. You could get a very decent 1920x1080 monitor (with digital support of course) for less.


    Well, I've gotten it working with a cheap $10 DVI to VGA active from Hong Kong. Honestly I'm surprised it works.
    (This is more to anyone that has the same issue/wanting to do this in the future that comes across this)


    Can you give a link to it? I'm curious to see how they did it, since the plugs on your card only output digital and is not normally meant to be compatible. Now that I think about it, I might have heard someone else get an adapters similar or like this that worked before.


    Oh my bad. I'm sorry. It's a displayport to VGA. Also, sorry for the long ass response.
Ask a new question

Read More

Dual Monitors Monitors Graphics