Nvidia Boasts New Driver Surpasses AMD's Mantle in Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

ferooxidan

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013
It is a proven fact that GTX780Ti is faster and better than R9-290X! Nvidia, who are you kidding? Still, with Mantle, AMD just need to do a driver update as well since it is still Beta anyway. Logic, Nvidia, logic please. DX12 may become your salvation since it is similar to Mantle from what I heard (hence they claim they don't need their own API), but still this article is a joke from Nvidia.

tinmann

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
AMD's drivers are the only joke here. Yon never see they term certified or the acronym WHQL when referring to Catalyst drivers because they are in a perpetual state of Beta.

cinergy

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Nvidia's own false graphs again. Nvidia is scared of Mantle as they should be. Mantle support will continue spreading and soon no-one will be buying nvidia's inferior products.

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
I don't buy it. The 780Ti is a faster and more expensive piece of hardware than a 290x so it has an advantage without drivers. Also, Mantle is new and not fully unlocked in its potential yet. More gains will come of it. I think this is Nvidia trying to dodge the fact that they are late to the low level API party which needs to happen. Hopefully DirectX12 can help them out there. PCs NEED low level APIs to unbottleneck the CPUs regardless of vendor preference.

Why would Nvidia be scared of something that a now ex AMD employee stated that nobody wants?

“It’s not something most developers want,” he said. “If you held a vote among developers, they would go for DirectX or Open GL, because it’s a great platform.”

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/33723/AMD_Walks_Back_Comments_On_DirectX_Performance_Impact.php

That was back in 2011 so it's kind of funny that the PR line a couple of years later is the exact opposite! :lol:

blackjackedy

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
Honestly I don't think this is any different to drivers which come out soon after games are released to squeeze a little more performance out. The system is clearly not cpu limited as it is running on a SB-E 6-core, so Mantle wouldn't be helping AMD very much in this situation.

If they showed more games or benchmarks from a few years ago or in a situation which wasn't so clearly cpu limited I'd change my mind, but until then I'm not buying it as anything more than Nvidia marketing. Remember Bulldozer and Fermi, don't believe the hype

EDIT: The Thief graph shows only a 4fps increase, which is nice from a driver but barely revolutionary

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
This kinda matters little, if i understand mantles main goal it is so the game producers can optimize on there own game. ofc Dx can do the same resolute but can it be done without eny help or optimization from nvidia? i feel Nvidia missed the point or did i ?

ZolaIII

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2013
Mantle is open sourcing soon!It will be merged (as a similar solution): in OGL! The upcoming Nv SoCs GPU drivers will also be a open sourced with all Nvs help. DX as a property will lose against OGL & more develops will turn to OGL... Nv is probably right that they don't need to develop they one lo lv api. They will probably have a temporal disadvantage. As much as I like AMD the Nv still have the best driver division in the business, not glorious as it whose bat still the best.

vaughn2k

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
Apples to Apples and Orange to Orange please. Mantle is all about direct communication with the hardware, and removing CPU bottleneck, D3D is still with CPU bottleneck. But I got to admit those numbers are pretty impressive, though, but like nVidia said "Nvidia did clarify that its new driver has a higher average frame rate, but still has more slow frames than Mantle – something that Nvidia will continue to chip away at..." let us wait for Tom's review... to be fair...

tekuro

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014
Mantle and Directx12 almost a carbon copy and Mantle getting a 2 year head start ? Yeah right, whenever something is to good to be true its because its to good to be true. MS and AMD are up to something.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Mantle is mostly about removing / reducing CPU bottlenecks, if the CPU can cope, there isn't much gains to be had. Most people are still running dual cores, try the comparison with those.

That was kinda sneaky on Nvidia with the Thief graph. They played with vertical scaling to overstate their gains. So their greatest performance increase is from 52FPS to 58.5FPS which is a 12.5% increase, not the 100%+ increase the bar depicts.I like that they are looking for ways to achieve greater performance but Toms should of caught the BS marketing tactic with the second graph.

G

Ignoring the purpose of mantle and use the gpu without the cpu bottleneck ... what a joke nvidia,thats tell us more about how scary mantle is to make nvidia & MS use lies technology

Correct me if I am wrong but Mantle will only be effective if adopted by developer so say Battlefield 4 which Mantle gains can be felt in single and online gameplay. Mantle is also isolated from drivers gains ie: if AMD improves drivers periodically the gains in such game as BF4 can also be noted over previous drivers with Mantle support.So the long and short, is star whatever supported by Mantle? if not the point is moot its just an issue of driver evolution and thus its really just stating that improved drivers improves performance which is what we all know already.

Not to mention that Nvidia's GK110 die size is a little bit more than 28% larger than AMD's Hawaii XT yet Nvidia comes away with only 5-10% more performance in most games. For reference the die sizes are as follows in mm^2: GK110 561, Hawaii XT 438.

heero yuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010
i call BSfirst the 780ti is more powerful than the R9 290Xsecondly if the 780TI and R9 290X were completely equal in power directX in its current form cannot beat something like mantle even with loads of driver optimisation UNLESS the drivers for mantle are pants (and apparently they can be but they are still in beta - i have no mantle supported games to test my card on so i have not bothered with the beta drivers)and then that second graph is just silly (starting at 48 fps instead of 0 so it looks like the TI gets a 100% boost? thats just playing with the numbers to make them seem bigger)

Forttis

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014
How come I'm getting better FPS in Thief at maximum settings running a single R9 280x than what the graph is claiming 290x reaches, both in the benchmark and in-game?Nvidia's graph looks like complete bull.

heero yuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010

o_O i just noticed that i'm getting a solid 60fps on max on a single 7970 without mantle (said 7970 is NOT a ghz edition (R9280X) and it is not overclocked)

NVidia stop telling porkies it makes you look desperate

heero yuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010

well saying as alot of the 700 series is rebranded 600 series and its a new driver and they are lieing about all of it (55 fps on thief on an R9 290X with mantle? what the hell are they smoking? i get solid 60 with a single 7970 without mantle @1080p with all the options on max with SweetFX - aka brutally murdering my graphics card)

Status
Not open for further replies.