Sign in with
Your question

Dell windows 7 reinstall without disc, if it was pre-installed ANSWER

Last response: in Windows 7
March 25, 2014 6:36:52 AM

This is not a question this is an answer. I have up and down google for three weeks and reinstalling windows without a disc seems to be a HUGE issue. IF you're computer came with windows 7 and you cannot restore it for whatever reason.....

DON'T try and download it!!!!
digital river is bogus! I tried over and over to download this and it never worked.

It is long and tedious process.

Call DELL, NOT MICROSOFT, if your computer is not under warranty you will be directed to the support without warranty, DON'T PANIC, tell them you're service number and they will send you a replacement disc for free. If you have done this before they may charge you a small fee. BUT if you have never asked they will send it out free.

I received my mothers computer after she died and thought it came with Windows 8, I reset it. I spent a week trying to figure out why it wouldn't reset, THEN I saw the product key. It was windows 7!! Another week trying to install windows 8 without a product key (had the disc and not the key) and then another week trying to download and install 7 from the internet onto a usb. I drove my family and friends nuts, asking for discs. I called dell, 5 minutes later the discs were being sent.

Now, I know some of you are going to say but I don't have a disc drive...most new computers don't have them, but most of those came with windows 8, and if you're trying to downgrade then I can't help ya.

Hope this helps someone from going through the hell I've been through in the past three weeks.
a b $ Windows 7
March 25, 2014 7:58:59 AM

External disc drives exist as well and are great for trouble shooting stuff like this... Like when all of a sudden your computer crashes anytime it tries to use the optical drive even though it was working fine last week.
March 25, 2014 8:48:47 AM

Thank you James, I thought about adding something about external disc drives after I posted but I know nothing about them. As in how expensive they are, or how to attach them. I sense you had a similar issue :)  thanks for the input.

Related resources
a c 354 $ Windows 7
March 25, 2014 10:14:25 AM

Actually Digital River downloads work fine, but they've had some issues the last few days. They may be getting removed due to the fact that Windows 7 is getting a bit older and MS is trying to get everyone to Windows 8. We often guide people to there to get the ISO files and burn them to disk or get a USB stick created. I use those same files probably at least once a week to install Windows. There are a lot of guides out there on how to re-install Windows and where to get disks.

If you posted your question about installing Windows 7 on your system you would have gotten a simple answer without spending weeks on it.

You're right about contacting the vendor of the PC for OEM Windows support. Microsoft only supports the retail versions of Windows not the pre-installed ones you get on a computer.
March 25, 2014 10:25:06 AM

I did post, here, and got no answer. So if digital river has been having 'issues' how does that help someone who needs to download it? I posted this because i didn't know you can just call and ask for a replacement cd, instead of downloading, making a bootable drive formatting then changing the bios then installing the drives after you download them. This is easier. Call, ask boom. Cd. Every google search for this came with instructions on how to download, why download when you can get a free cd? Just sayin.
a c 354 $ Windows 7
March 25, 2014 10:32:01 AM

Badatthis said:
I did post, here, and got no answer. So if digital river has been having 'issues' how does that help someone who needs to download it? I posted this because i didn't know you can just call and ask for a replacement cd, instead of downloading, making a bootable drive formatting then changing the bios then installing the drives after you download them. This is easier. Call, ask boom. Cd. Every google search for this came with instructions on how to download, why download when you can get a free cd? Just sayin.

Most of the time it's not a free CD, for out of warranty computers they will charge you. It's odd that they did not ask you to pay for it. I've seen many posts by people where Dell or other companies won't even talk to them about an issue unless they get paid for an out of warranty call. I'm glad you got good service from them.

I actually prefer to get a clean Windows 7 setup as to most power users since you don't get any of the often useless add-on and demo programs OEM systems come with, which is why people may prefer to use the clean Windows 7 disks instead of the vendor restore disk sets.

I checked your other thread now, odd that no-one replied, it's pretty rare that there are posts with no answers here. I never go to the Windows 8 section myself but I know other members and moderators do. I'm sorry you did not get a reply here.
March 25, 2014 11:21:28 AM

It's all good. My point is some, shall I say 'older' users of computers sometimes do not have the know how to do all that. I understand it's not difficult to most but for even I who have a basic understanding of how this stuff works was ready to throw the computer out the window. And some may not have the resources as in another computer to download from (if theirs is not funtioning). As it was my son was having fits I was downloading anything on his very expensive brand new Lenovo. Btw all the 'tutoials' I saw were how to download 7 on a computer with 7.. i was using 8.1. The microsoft usb didnt work I downloaded 3, then one worked and I still couldn't get it to install. I tried all the tricks. Anyway, dell was cool, hopefully they will be for anyone else who is having a hard time. :) 
March 25, 2014 11:59:06 AM

And even if it costs 20 bucks isn't that better than the time and angst with digital river, if it's not working..or 119.00 for a new cd. I was ready to plunk down that much just to stop the madness! :) 
a c 354 $ Windows 7
March 25, 2014 12:48:52 PM

It seems the official Windows 7 disk download is down, not sure if it's a permanent thing or a site issue. I was able to download some files a few days ago, now nothing is working.

Some people would rather just do the work on their own and not have to contact the vendor, wait for the disk to be shipped, pay for it (even if it's 20-30). There are different ways of solving things, spending money and/or waiting for something is one of them. I like using this saying "You can have it done cheap, fast, with quality, pick two".
March 25, 2014 2:36:56 PM

hang-the-9 said:
It seems the official Windows 7 disk download is down, not sure if it's a permanent thing or a site issue. I was able to download some files a few days ago, now nothing is working.

Some people would rather just do the work on their own and not have to contact the vendor, wait for the disk to be shipped, pay for it (even if it's 20-30). There are different ways of solving things, spending money and/or waiting for something is one of them. I like using this saying "You can have it done cheap, fast, with quality, pick two".

March 25, 2014 2:46:28 PM

Hence the statement ' digital river is bogus'.
!