Planning on going from 6870 to R9 270X (Vapor-X or Dual-X?) and RAM upgrade

Mathute87

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014
Hello, everybody. Let's start with my current rig specs:

• CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Quad-Core Black Edition (3.4 GHz)
    Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Socket AM3+
    PSU: Cooler Master CMP-350 500W
    RAM: Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 4GB 2x2GB CL9
    GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5

Now, this setup has worked for me flawlessly for almost two years, but I can tell some recent games struggle a little when trying to play on high to ultra settings (silly me even hoping it would work). Well, I never was able to play BF3 on Ultra at 1080p with this, but I knew that when I built it.

So now I want to do some upgrading. I know I should upgrade the CPU, but that will have to wait a little until I get some extra money for the the 8-core I want, but in the meantime, I've been looking at these graphic cards:

- Sapphire R9 270X Dual-X 2GB GDDR5
- Sapphire R9 270X Vapor-X With Boost 2GB GDDR5

I'm no expert. At all. I built the thing, had some trouble with the RAM at first, fixed it, and haven't really done any more tweaking or even opened the case other than to clean it up. I don't overclock, and I'm not sure I'll ever risk to do it because I might break something. So my question is, which one of these would offer me the better results? The Vapor-X is 4 cms longer than my 6870, while the Dual-X is barely 2 cms longer, so I checked and figured the size wouldn't be a problem.

Which one of those would be better for my setup?

I also read around about some trouble with the 270X when installing it, so what do I do when I get it? Do I uninstall my current drivers, switch the cards and then install the new ones?

And this RAM upgrade:

Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 8GB 2x4GB CL9 - DDR3

As far as I know if I leave my 2x2GB and install my 2x4GB it would be for nothing, because it will only tell I have 8 GB, is this correct?

I will probably end up getting a SSD as well, but if I'm not mistaken my board can't handle one properly right now, so that will have to wait as well.

And the PSU will end up being switched for a better one too, but that is not an option at the moment, because this particular upgrade I can do it right away, while for the rest it will take me a year, most likely.

So, thoughts?

Thank you all in advance.

g-unit1111

Titan
One thing I would heavily advise doing if you're going to be upgrading your GPU to the current Radeon R7/R9 series would be to update your motherboard's BIOS and throw in a new CPU - the FX-8320 is a great deal and if you have access to a store like Micro Center you can pick one up for less than $120. I did that with my AMD rig and it really does make a world of difference as to how the build performs. Especially if your motherboard supports AM3 and AM3+.

That said the R9-270X is a solid choice, it's essentially a rebranded Radeon 7950. That RAM is OK - there's far better that you could go with. Most AM3 motherboards will support 1.65, before buying check and make sure the voltages match.

thdarkshadow

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013

No the 270x is a rebranded and overclocked 7870. The r9 280 is a rebranded 7950. The r9 270x is still a good GPU just it is Pitcairn not Tahiti.

g-unit1111

Titan

Ah OK, I knew most of the R7s and R9s were rebranded GPUs but I wasn't clear on which model. Good to know.

Mathute87

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014
Ok, I understand why you say it, but I still won't buy a new CPU. When I do, I'll be sure to get a better motherboard and a better PSU as well. I will update the BIOS, though.

What I really would like to know is which should I get, if Vapor-X or Dual-X?

Thanks for the advice.