How Facebook's Oculus Buy Changes Future of Rift, VR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pgooch

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
This makes me sad... =(. I wouold of rather many many other companies... but Valve or Microsoft being who i would of wanted it to go to.

hateitnow

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014
My support in Oculus just went down the tubes.This is a giant middle finger to crowd-funding... or did we forget that the whole project was crowd-funded?Facebook just trying to buy relevancy in a world where it doesn't even know what it is any more.Can't blame Palmer Luckey.... the money bags are too much...

Really don't like this news. Facebook has generally been bad for gaming so far. That said, most acquisitions that FB has made over the last few years have been allowed to run as they had before the FB acquisition, so heres hoping they continue to do things this way with the Oculus team.Then again, maybe it is time to pick up a $350 dev kit just in case the Rift tech gets gutted, or tied to some horrible social features that plaster your wall with everything you are doing in the digital world. I probably would not even have a FB account if it were not for my work requiring it of me. 3 years of social networking has only proven that I have a lot of friends with babies or overly zealous political views. My real friends continue to be the people who I call, text, email, and meet in person. FB has simply failed at being useful.

Shneiky

Distinguished
And now I hope Sony beats the S$$$ out of Oculus VR so Facebook can lose some money. Pretty much anything that FB buys is dead to me and a lot of people. We don't want to be traces, sold and used. Imagine your Oculus VR can now track you even if you are not on Facebook, and just when you are in the VR zone, ADVERTISEMENT!

BahWiggy

Reputable
Mar 14, 2014
Unbelievable.......my enthusiasm for the Rift just went from an 11 out of 10 down to a 2. Well hopefully this at least got the wheels in motion for VR before Facebutt destroys it all. Today marks a sad day for gaming.

kenh536

Honorable
Mar 31, 2013
Now you can be play farmville and be completely immersed in the world of in-your-face ads, pay walls, and micro-transactions! Stalk your facebook victims like your actually there! Coming soon: Our partnership to make Oculus EA exclusive!

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Anybody who saw Sony's VR product knew that something had to give. They needed a big name behind them that really had the financial backing to make a great product. I don't see this as a bad thing really. Facebook is boring, but Mark just got a little cooler in my book with this acquisition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS