Crossfire Issues with Fullscreen

unsticky

Reputable
Mar 26, 2014
I just set myself up a new gaming computer and I'm running into some issues with Crossfire. I've never worked on a system like this before so I figure I could use some help with the troubleshooting process.

To give a quick overview of the system I'm running two ASUS 290x OC2's, 3 144hz displays, and a 1000W power supply. That should be all the relevant parts but let me know if you need the full breakdown.

Anywho, here's the problem. At the moment I can enable crossfire within the CCC (Catalyst Control Center) and I can setup an eyefinity display just fine. However, anytime I attempt to launch a game in fullscreen it immediately blacks out the screens, they flicker for about 30 seconds, and my computer reboots (sometimes after displaying a BSOD for a fraction of a second). If I run the game in windowed mode, or without crossfire enabled, everything runs fine and I get no errors. Also, If I disable eyefinity, enable crossfire, and run in 'fullscreen' across one monitor I get no crashes.

It's my understanding that crossfire does not run for games windowed mode so I suspect the issue is with crossfire, and potentially one of my graphics cards is a lemon. Is this right?

[strike]I'm not home yet to start my full testing (I'll update this post alter tonight) but when I am I plan on:
1. Stripping out the graphics drivers and reinstalling them.
2. Running the system on each graphics card independently and see if it crashes on one of them.[/strike]

My concern is that if neither test reveals anything I might be stuck trying to RMA both cards without actually knowing if they were the issue. Has anyone else run into issues like this before that could recommend some steps?

UPDATE 1:
Ok, so I scrubbed the drivers off with extreme prejudice and reinstalled the latest Beta drivers from AMD. Now if I create the eyefinity display group and run something like Civ V it works just fine and I get the kind of frame rates I would expect from the two cards. However, if I then set the bezel correction and adjust the resolution in game accordingly I'm back to square one and everything crashes on launch, or if its already launched it stutters horribly and does maybe 5 fps.

With this in mind I'm pretty sure this is not an issue with my second card, but rather a driver issue. Is this a known issue, or should I keep beating my head against it? Anyone seen this before?

unsticky

Reputable
Mar 26, 2014
UPDATE 2:
I spoke with Asus tech support (technically I'm running two 290xDC2OC's) and they strongly suggested double and triple checking that all drivers and BIOS's are up to date. So I went ahead and updated my BIOS driver and the BIOS for both my graphics cards (which took some work since their utility only seemed to want to flash the primary). In the end, TF2 will now work in crossfire with bezel correction, but not anything else. In addition, the crashes are a little more graceful (no BSOD), but still lock the system up and require a reboot.