HDD dying. HDD lags like hell

hassan_8727

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2012
I got 1TB western digital SATA HDD about 2 years back.
i use it for gaming only.
it kept working fine till a week back when all of a sudden it started making me mad.
i had just installed an 8600gt vga card, installed the driver and when i restarted the pc.. BAM everything went wrong.
i tried formating all my data but still i cant get the performance like i used to. my pc's red light on the front is ON all the time like it is in constant use.
while installing windows 7 it takes about 1 hr to just do "copying files and then extracting files"
if i press shutdown, it takes hours to shutdown.
at first it was giving working speed like 100/100 but now its so much lagging and gives me response speed like 5/100. i cant even copy a small file. Right clicking on any file in explorer just freezes the pc.
m so frustated by it. i tried using a different (old) HDD and thats working perfectly. but this 1TB HDD is lagging hell.
i have checked all of the drives using CHKDSK utility but it shows no bad sectors.
it isnt making any kind of noises or whatsoever.

I dont think there's any PSU issue coz i have been using this HDD for about 2 years on the same 450W psu with GT630 graphics card.
Its just a week back when i changed my graphics card to 8600gt it started this problem.
I have done Defragmentation on all my drives and they are below 5% now.
Unlike other people saying my HDD is not creating any kind of sound (griding, clicking, etc).
Its just that Hard Disk Usage is at 100% all the time now, and my HDD Red light stays on constanlty for a long time.
plz tell me if there's any solution to the problem

my rig:
i3 3.1ghz
p8h61mle
4gb ddr3 ram
450W psu.

Sounds like your drive is dying.
Do you have a backup? If not, can you make one stat? Preferably booting from the old drive or a backup CD, so that your speed is not limited by running from the current, slowed drive?
Can you download diagnostics from WD and do diagnostics on the drive?
If the old HDD works fine so the problem is definitely the drive, my personal reaction is to never trust a drive that has failed once. I would replace it immediately.

hassan_8727

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2012

I cant do any backup as i formatted my data (around 700gb games).
booting from the old drive is a bit normal but with it, my WD drive still performs like hell.
I will try doing the WD diagnostics and then post the result.