Combining new CPU/HDD/MB with some old components.

Bogdanov89

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2013
I am on a rather tight budget, so i am trying to make a decent PC upgrade by replacing my oldest components and combining them with the "less old" ones.

New components (not yet purchased):

CPU: INTEL Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz (strongest i5, the next one is i7 that is ~50% more expensive)

MB: Gigabyte MB - SOCKET 1150 - GA-Z87-HD3 (this one costs about 100 euro, i could go to about 180 euro if something valuable can be gained).

HDD: WD 1TB SATA III, 64MB, 3.5", 7200rpm, Caviar Black - WD1002FAEX (fastest rpm and biggest cache that i could find, rather cheap as well)

Old components (not enough money for new GPU):

Windows 7 64-bit

GPU: NVidia GTX 460

RAM: 8GB DD3 1866MHz

Powersupply: Cooler Master 550W

Personally i think the only room for meaningful improvement (within price range) would be a higher quality motherboard upgrade, but i am not sure what i would gain by doing it?

The motherboard i mentioned above already has the Z87 chipset (intel's best in the latest generation, as far as i know), and the RAM speed is within it's capabilities - also as far as i know, the i5 can be safely overclocked on it.

So what do you think of this setup?
Please feel free to offer any advice and/or suggestions as to how i can improve it

numanator

Honorable
Only thing you would gain by spending more on a mobo would be SLI support and better/more stable overclocking. If you don't plan to SLI (2 GPU) or OC then there is no point to spending more on the mobo. Even if you plan to OC that mobo should be fine but I am not an expert on mobos so someone may be able to help you out with that a bit better.

If you have 80 euros to spare you could always get a 60gb SSD for your boot up/core application drive. It would speed up your loading times for windows and your browsers quite a bit.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($227.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $501.95
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-27 13:03 EDT-0400)

This would be a great upgrade but I am not sure if it falls into your budget. The Samsung 840 evo is the most recommended SSD at this time but there are plenty of cheaper SSD options. Also you could drop down to a WD Caviar blue HDD since the SSd would be your boot drive or you could keep the Caviar black and go with a 60 gb SSD

Edit: FYI, If your existing Windows 7 copy was OEM then the copy will be tied to the motherboard and you would need a new copy