Should I upgrade my PSU(550W) based upon my specs?

Will my PSU suffice?

• Yes, and you don't need to upgrade it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but it might be better to upgrade it

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • No, you need to upgrade

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

JCervi

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
Hey all, This is my first time posting here in ages. Anyways, I just recently upgraded my GPU and was curious to know what you guys think of my setup in relation to my PSU. I haven't had much problems at all with my setup but I wonder if having a 550W PSU is pushing it a bit ie; just barely getting by?

Below are my specs. Any input would be much appreciated. I recently got a $50 Microcenter giftcard so I have been thinking about doing some sort of upgrade for my PC. If you have any other reccomendations, just in general, I'm willing to see what you guys have to say!

GPU = EVGA Geforce GTX 760 (2.0 GB)(256bit)(GDDR5)
CPU = AMD FX 6100 Black Edition (6 core)(3.3GHz)
MoBo = ASUS M5A97 R 2.0
RAM = Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800)
PSU = Solid Gear Neutron Series 550W PS2
HDD = HGST Dekstar 500GB 7,200RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
OS = Windows 7 Home Premium
Cooling = 3 Coolmax 120mm LED fans.

Thanks,

JCervi

EVGA recommends 500w PSU for that GPU, so 550w will be fine. It's the GPU that determines how powerful the PSU needs to be since it consumes the most power compared to any other single component, and probably as much as all your other components put together (170w for that GPU).

JCervi

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
Thanks guys. It's nice to hear reassurance on the subject!

HiTechObsessed, what type of PSU would you reccomend given that my gift card is worth $50.

I intend to build a whole new computer off of parts from my current PC when I upgrade it! (if that makes sense).

Thanks,

JCervi

JCervi

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
Thanks for all of the advise so far. Yeh I live about 15 minutes from a Microcenter as well, so I don't have to worry about shipping. I see some of you have posted a few other 550W PSUs, what is so advantageous with those, being that it's still the same wattage? Is it just quality? I figured, would it be better to get a 600+ PSU in this case if I'm going to upgrade my PSU? I also possibly plan to get a blu-ray player in the near future, although I don't know if that will take up too much wattage either.

But what do you guys think/reccomend?

JCervi

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
This one looks the most promising actually and they have some in stock here at the Columbus store. Plus my case is also made by Thermaltake!

We're recommending based on quality, not wattage. Your build will only run around 300-350w at 100% full load tops, so anything over that is just a safety net to allow for degradation of the power supply over time, and help the power supply run at a higher efficiency. The SMART 650w runs at peak efficiency around the 40-50% load range, which is around where you will be at.