Sign in with
Your question

Asus HD 7970 Matrix Platinum GPU in Crossfire - Top card very hot - Should I just Sell and go to a single card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 28, 2014 8:19:20 AM

Asus HD 7970 Matrix Platinum GPU in Crossfire - Top card hitting 90 degrees

Hi guys, here's my spec

Asus M5A99FX Pro 2.0 Motherboard
AMD FX 8350 CPU
Antec Kuhler 920 CPU Cooler
16 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz RAM
2 x Asus HD 7970 Matrix Platinum GPU
OCZ ZX 1000W PSU
2x OCZ 120GB Agility 3 SSD (OS and Games)
1x Maxtor 1TB HDD (Main File Storage)
3x Seagate 3TB HDD Media Storage)
Antec Lanboy Air Case
27 Asus VE276Q LCD Monitor

When I play BF3 or use furmark, my top card goes well into the 90's, lower will stay around 68, I've switched the cards around, so I know its not the actual card. It must be the setup, there isn't much space between the two cards, so I am guessing that's the reason. I do have side panel fans by the cards and have experimented them both as intake and exhaust, no difference. Ambient room temp it around 22degrees.

I spent around £540 getting them 6 months ago and have someone who wants to buy them both for £500, I have been up front and told him the issues I have had, but he is happy to buy them. I was looking at getting an ASUS 290X Direct II OC edition to replace them.

Do you guys think that I should, or should I investigate more into sorting out the heating issues.
March 28, 2014 8:33:09 AM

One thing to consider is future upgrades. Since you have heat issues now, let's say in the future you want to crossfire another 290x, your situation will be even worse.

Nvidia cards run much cooler, and SLI would produce less heat then crossfire, so that's something to consider. The problem is if you switch to a single card you might lose a little bit of performance, but your SLI options will be better in terms of heat.
a b Ĉ ASUS
March 28, 2014 8:40:39 AM

It's a common problem, some resolve it by water cooling the top card, others change the motherboard to one that spaces the cards further apart. Strong side fans can help as can adding strong front fans as intakes to increase the amount of cool air entering the case.
The matrix uses a very deep cooler AFAIK, so another option my be to swap one card for one with a thinner design to allow for more cooling, even the reference single fan cooler should do better that 90C under load provided it's not too close to the bottom card.
Easiest solution would, of course, be to swap them for the R9 290X and a quick check on the UK prices shows you should be able to do so at no cost-perhaps even make a little profit on the deal overall.
Related resources
March 28, 2014 8:44:31 AM

Thanks Kekoh.

I'm a bit of a looser and have always ran AMD and Radeon, I know they Nvidia cards work fine with AMD, but I just cant break the habbit.

It's more about do you think I should sell the two current cards, essentially I've only paid £40 to have two really good cards for 6 months and now I have lots of other options open to me as the next generation is out.

What would you do?
a b Ĉ ASUS
March 28, 2014 8:44:45 AM

Or you could swap for an Nvidia card, as Kekoh says, they do tend to run cooler although dualling these cards is only really required for multi monitor setups (surround or Eyefinity).
Pricewise the GTX780 runs close to the R9 290X and is also close in performance (slightly slower overall) while the GTX780Ti is more expensive, if a little faster than the R9 290X overall.
Yet more option to consider... ;) 
a b Ĉ ASUS
March 28, 2014 8:46:17 AM

I('m a rabid AMD fanboi so would go for the reference cooled GTX780 if you plan on SLI later or the R9 290X if you'll be happy with a single card.
March 28, 2014 8:48:24 AM

coozie7 said:
It's a common problem, some resolve it by water cooling the top card, others change the motherboard to one that spaces the cards further apart. Strong side fans can help as can adding strong front fans as intakes to increase the amount of cool air entering the case.
The matrix uses a very deep cooler AFAIK, so another option my be to swap one card for one with a thinner design to allow for more cooling, even the reference single fan cooler should do better that 90C under load provided it's not too close to the bottom card.
Easiest solution would, of course, be to swap them for the R9 290X and a quick check on the UK prices shows you should be able to do so at no cost-perhaps even make a little profit on the deal overall.

Thanks for replying

I think its defiantly the space thing between the two cards, its a few mm at best, I couldn't get the pics on here to show you. I've got side fans, played about with all the other things, really don't want to do the water cooling thing. Not when I'm just a casual gamer. Ya, I can pick up a ASUS 290X Direct II OC edition on ebuyer for £434. Just wanted to see what others thought, you know when you just can't make up your mind - First world problems!!!! ;-)
March 28, 2014 9:02:09 AM

Pookie1983 said:
Thanks Kekoh.

I'm a bit of a looser and have always ran AMD and Radeon, I know they Nvidia cards work fine with AMD, but I just cant break the habbit.

It's more about do you think I should sell the two current cards, essentially I've only paid £40 to have two really good cards for 6 months and now I have lots of other options open to me as the next generation is out.

What would you do?

I used to be AMD CPU and AMD GPU as well, so I understand. If you really want to stay with AMD GPU, then your choice of the ASUS 290X seems like a solid choice. I'm sure it will make you happy. I'm pretty sure the Radeon cards use Intel chips anyways, so you aren't getting a true AMD/AMD combo.

Considering future upgrades, you could also sell the 290X eventually and get the best single card whenever that is.

What would I do? I would get a really good Nvidia card. I just upgraded from a single 7950 last week and do not regret it at all. I was originally going to crossfire another 7950, but I read about all the random issues with new games having issues with crossfire, and microstuttering, etc. So I just wanted to get one of the best performing single cards available. That ended up being the EVGA GTX 780 Ti SC w/ ACX cooler. I have it overclocked, with added voltage, and the highest I've ever seen the card go is 64C (24C ambient).

The factors that played in my decision were: Single card performance, low temps, overclock headroom, future SLI potential. If I decide to SLI in the future, I don't think heat would be a problem since they run cooler. Also, in my setup my mobo PCI slots are more spread out, and I have a huge case with great cooling. So for me, it was an easy decision switching to Nvidia (first time getting an nvidia card).
a b Ĉ ASUS
March 28, 2014 9:02:22 AM

Casual gamer with crossfire 7970 Matrix's :lol: 

So you cant move the second card to a lower slot? Is the card being at 90'c actually causing a problem?
April 1, 2014 1:36:05 AM

Thanks Kekoh, your right, best single card over crossfire seems to be the way to go.

RobCrezz - Ya, well I pretty much got the 2nd Matrix for free and the pretty lights, well, there pretty lights!!! No, the getting up to 90 never caused any issues, but I don't want to wreck the cards if there's a way around it.

Have decided not to sell, just going to keep the two cards and only use one until I get a bigger case and motherboard. Not like there's any games out that really push one of these cards anyway.
!