Three Benq XL2720Z. Need a new video card, maybe two. Looking for suggestions.

Peccavi

Reputable
Mar 28, 2014
Hello everyone,

I just got a Obutto Gaming Cockpit, and I want to go with a three monitor set up. I am planning to get three Benq XL2720Z. They are 27 inch. Currently I have an AMD Radeon 5970. I think I will need an upgrade in the video card department but I have no idea what to look for. My budget is around 400-700.

Questions I currently have are:

Should I just get another Radeon 5970? (Small room though with poor cooling, so I am worried about the older tech overheating)

Should I get 1 card or two cards?

Three, if I get 1 card, how can I set up three monitors to it? The video cards Ive seen only have two DVI outs... Is everything HDMI now?

Obviously, I am clueless, and would appreciate anysupport the community is willing to share with me.

Kekoh

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014
1. You will need better video cards. Someone else might be able to help with specifics, since I'm not an expert of multi-display gaming. I would think if you want to be able to play at 60+ fps on all 3 monitors, a $700 budget for the video cards is not enough. Maybe two GTX 780s? If you are worried about poor ventilation, crossfiring 290's is sort of out of the picture because they produce a lot of heat.

2. You will likely need 2, especially since the monitors are 144hz you should try to get at least a 60-75FPS average.

3. You would probably end up using 2 DVI and 1 Displayport, but depends on what ports the cards offer. Displayport can transmit more data than DVI, so no worries there. You don't want to use HDMI because it is limited at 60hz.

Peccavi

Reputable
Mar 28, 2014
Thank you, that is a great start. Do I need the 3 GB GTX's? Or is there another one? I am just a little confused because there seems to be so many different versions of it when I look online for it. They all look very different and the price ranges vary.

Kekoh

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014

There is a new 6GB model of the GTX 780 coming out really soon. If you crossfired those you should have some pretty good performance. Maybe someone else can chime in that knows more about multi-monitor gaming.