Z87-Pro drivers/utilities MINI disc worthless

Flangduck

Reputable
Mar 28, 2014
Is there a downloadable ISO file online I missed in my search?
My 1st computer build for myself hasn't even began (still need the CPU) and I've run into a problem already - the drivers/utilities disc provided (even with potentially outdated files that would have been easy to update) is useless/unreadable w/o a drive that can read it. The only optical drive I have available is an older slot load that cannot load MINI discs. If I didn't have internet access I'd REALLY be steamed. A peril of a DIY build seems to have bitten me which I've never heard about before - this is the first MINI disc I've ever run across that didn't have an ISO file available.
Grabbing each individual Win7 file from ASUS support page can be done, but that option may cause problems if there's any kind of required driver load order. That's whats nice about the Install Disc provided with the product just purchased - even if it installs 'old' software.

Is this even an issue?
Advise / comment / criticism needed.
:>)

jFiveNYC

Reputable
Mar 28, 2014
I'd doubt there is an ISO since it would become outdated rapidly with the deployment of each individual driver update.

There should be more info regarding the load order on an Asus support forum. If necessary, update the BIOS firmware FIRST but ONLY if you feel there are problems with the current version.

Try downloading them all the a USB flash drive. Then work your way through update process.

Have you searched through torrent websites like The Pirate Bay? They often times have motherboard and other drivers.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Most anytime you get a new mobo the drivers on the disk are already outdayed, best to download from the web site (I generally throw the driver disk away)..I start with the Chipset drivers and then just update a couple or three at a time...and I would update the BIOS if it's outdated, they are constantly fixing numerous thisng, though they only show 1 or 2 in the list, most have numerous DRAM updates

Flangduck

Reputable
Mar 28, 2014
I know the supplied disc has outdated driver files - they always do. It's the MINI disc format that has me stumped for the time being. If it wasn't a weekend I would have been able to get access to a drive to read it to create an ISO to burn on a normal size disc or create a bootable USB flash drive - I was just trying to get everything ready/updated to begin my build. This is not an actual 'problem' needing an immediate solution - I was just trying to find another source of the Installer - I figured someone somewhere at sometime had the same/similar MINI disc 'problem' with a simple d/l link posted somewhere. OH WELL!!! It's only a delay in my getting ready to install - but a delay that really shouldn't be happening. Whoever at ASUS that made the decision to use MINI discs needs their head examined - maybe they chose to use MINI discs to force more people to seek support (maybe force them to purchase a new drive after it 'eats' that undersized disc that now won't eject).

The first place I looked at getting help was ASUS support - to ask a simple question about a purchased product they REQUIRE more personal info from me than I had to give to get a driver license or to vote. Over the years I've bought numerous ASUS peripherals/hardware - never had any problem to ever need support.

THANK YOU for your time and effort. I have learned something new to check BEFORE purchasing any more hardware - if the company uses a MINI disc for its software w/o supplying access to it in a usable format - I WILL NOT PURCHASE YOUR PRODUCT -

jFiveNYC

Reputable
Mar 28, 2014

Correct, but as stated in the OP, only a slot load player is at his disposal.

For the most part, it's safe to take any driver/software discs that are included and toss them along with the product packaging. It's been years since I received a peripheral that included a comprehensive up-to-date driver/software disc. Not to mention that most of those discs are riddled with bloatware and you can download exactly what you need from the manufacturers website.

Don't be upset with Asus as a fair amount of OEM/custom builds feature a tray-loading disc drive.

jFiveNYC

Reputable
Mar 28, 2014

Yup. If you're skilled with a Dremel tool, you could make a cutout of on a full size disc and place the mini-CD in it's place. Don't laugh, I've seen it done before.