I need some help.

oldwomanneedshelp

Reputable
Mar 29, 2014
I do not have anyone to help me in my retirement community so here it goes.
I have a microsoft windows XP Home Edition service pack 2. Version 2002.
emachines-gt 5468-AMD Sempron (tm) processor-LE-1250-2.21GHz-896MB of RAM
I do not know what any of this means.
I use this computer for my email. I sometimes get on the you tube to watch videos but the majority of the use is on neopets. I also have a router hooked up to stream netflixs to two tv's.
I am looking at a refurbished computer from a big box store. I have very limited income. The computer is described as:
HP Pre-Owned, Refurbished Black DC5800 Desktop PC with Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 4GB Memory, 1TB Hard Drive and Windows 7 Professional (Monitor Not Included)
Would I be able to use this one as I have used my computer?

I think my computer will be obsolete come April 8th 2014. Thank you for your time

Solution
if you want your computer to run a lot faster i would suggest that you get them to install a SSD ( solid state drive ), which basically means swapping your hard drive in your computer for a solid state drive , that is a two minute operation then they can install windows on it , it works more like the memory on a usb stick and has no moving parts , it will be markedly faster for you and make your computer like a new machine

I would suggest though with whatever you decide to do ,backup any important information you wish to keep , photos , documents etc because if they install windows 7 on your hard drive it will overwrite all your existing data and you will lose it all
Hi oldwomanneedshelp,
your computer will not be obsolete , only microsoft is no longer supporting windows xp , you can upgrade to windows 7 or 8 , which means installing a new operating system on your computer and you will be good to go , you can continue to use windows xp after that date but there will be no windows updates for xp hence no malicious software removal and hackers will probably take advantage of this ,
simply take your computer to a reputable repair place and get them to install a newer version of windows on it , it will not be super expensive and a lot cheaper than buying a whole new setup

oldwomanneedshelp

Reputable
Mar 29, 2014
Thank you for such a quick response. The computer I am looking at as listed in my first post will cost me 221.59 dollars. I do not know what shops around my area can install a newer version. I don't know why but I feel I need a newer computer. I also pay bills online now and am afraid of potential identity theft of my personal information.

oldwomanneedshelp

Reputable
Mar 29, 2014
I am very happy with my computer. It is slow sometimes but I just have to restart it a few times per week and it runs good. I am very patient so this does not bother me.

oldwomanneedshelp

Reputable
Mar 29, 2014
I am afraid to take it somewhere. I don't want to be taken advantage of and end up paying for things I really don't need. I am also involved in a plot on neopets and can not miss a day of it. This is my entertainment! Better than playing bingo everyday here.

in that case save your money , give these guys a call and tell them what you are wanting , to upgrade your computer to windows 7 and ask them for a quote , go with who you believe is trustworthy and sounds like they are not trying to tip you off , explain to them you are in a retirement community and they should come to where you are and install a new operating system on your computer , that way you can leave your setup as it is and not have to unplug anything or take it anywhere , it will be way cheaper and you can stay on the computer you are comfortable with

oldwomanneedshelp

Reputable
Mar 29, 2014
I will give that a try. I do see a commercial on tv quite often lately, that's how I found out about the April 8th deadline. I will pay attention to it and jot down the number to that one too. Now with the upgrade to the window 7, will my computer run a little faster?

just don't let them talk you into buying anything else other than a copy of windows 7 and paying for their services , that is all you require
If they tell you need something else to get windows 7 to run don't believe them , if they tell you you need new parts to make windows 7 work then they are fibbing , windows 8 may be a bit confusing for you so i would recommend windows 7 ,
i wish you all the best and hopefully it all goes smoothly and you will be up and running with windows 7 soon and saved some money along the way

oldwomanneedshelp

Reputable
Mar 29, 2014
Thank you so much for helping me out! If I do decide to get that computer from walmart would it be better than the one I have? I just want to make sure I am "up grading" They take us to walmart once a week so that's why I thought this would be best. I am almost sure if I were to get a hold of my grandson he would give me monies to help with the purchase.

if you want your computer to run a lot faster i would suggest that you get them to install a SSD ( solid state drive ), which basically means swapping your hard drive in your computer for a solid state drive , that is a two minute operation then they can install windows on it , it works more like the memory on a usb stick and has no moving parts , it will be markedly faster for you and make your computer like a new machine

I would suggest though with whatever you decide to do ,backup any important information you wish to keep , photos , documents etc because if they install windows 7 on your hard drive it will overwrite all your existing data and you will lose it all

Solution