Could a busted power supply cause a fire in my computer?

schauera30

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
Ok so i had a very strange sort of events happen to me today as I got home from work. My computer was off completely (i usually have it on sleep or running if its downloading). It wouldnt turn on at all so i figured i Had a power surge and i unplug everything and replug back in and it started up normally. I noticed however that my headset was not working and I could not hear anything. So while im trying to figure out what was going on with my headset i get a notification on my toolbar saying power surge on usb port. At that point I take everything out off my usb ports and start plugging them back ni one by one to see what was causing the surge (though i figured it was the headset). While im plugging stuff in i start smelling the smell of burning plastic and solder. At this point i see smoking coming from my lap and low and behold my headset wire is literally on fire in my lap. So that pretty much melted the cord and broke the headset. Fine and dandy I can get a new headset. The problem Im having now is determining whether or not the power surge couldve been caused by bad wiring in the headset or if its a problem with my power supply causing the headset to overheat. We havent had any sort of power outages so coming home to my computer off was quite the surprise. The only other mishaps ive been having is a bsod every now and then when i open the league of legends client, other than that I have absolutely no idea what caused ths to happen so should I consider buying a new psu while Im at it? Also should I be concerned with my computer becoming a fire hazard now that this has happened?

raptor07

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
It could be a short circut in the headset... If that countinues to happen, it could be a PSU... Try taking it to a PC service.

raptor07

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014

What PSU is it?

raptor07

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014

That's a really good PSU... If it was some cheap PSU, that could be the cause...
My guess is that theere was a short somewhere in the headset... If it happens again, it could be the port.