Undervolt i5-4670K or just buy i5-4670S?

phositadc

Reputable
Mar 30, 2014
I'm planning a mini-ITX build using an Antec ISK-110 case to replace an aging Mac Mini. The ISK-110 includes only a 90W PSU (though I may swap it with a 150W PicoPSU), and I've read several success stories of builds with the ISK-110 + a 65W CPU such as the 4670S. Mobo will likely be Gigabyte GA-Z87N-WIFI for Hackintosh compatibility.

I've also read lots of recommendations that, rather than buying a 4670S, I should just buy a 4670K and undervolt and/or underclock it myself to achieve the same power profile of the 4670S.

Anybody have any insight as to how easy that is to achieve? How much of an undervolt would be necessary? Is most i5-4670K silicon capable of running stable at that undervolt level?

Any and all opinions appreciated it. Because of the PSU limitations it's very important for me to get a power-profile similar to that of the 4670S... and if it's not a virtual certainty that I will be able to do that with a 4670K + undervolt & underclock, then I might be the rare case where I am better off just getting the 4670S (or even the 4670T) to begin with...

Thanks!

B_S

Reputable
Mar 3, 2014
It's an unusual question. I suspect not many people have experience with this.

I don't know anything about the subject. The i5-k is an unlocked CPU. So that it can be overclocked. It therefore has a price premium and is more expensive than other locked versions of the i5. But you're going to use a PSU that doesn't allow you to overclock. The PSU 90W probably doesn't even support running that CPU in your system.

Perhaps the 150w does. Can't you get a PSU that is good enough that you don't have to undervolt?

What is the Ampere rating for the 12V rail for those PSUs?

logainofhades

Titan
What are your intended uses for this system? It might just be easier to use an i3 4130 instead. That or go to a more flexible mini itx setup that uses standard ATX power supply, like the coolermaster Elite 110.

http://www.coolermaster.com/case/mini-itx-elite-series/elite110/