GeForce GT 745M & video editing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miiik

Reputable
Mar 30, 2014
Has anyone tested GeForce GT 745M GPU with video editing? (Adobe Premiere CS6, possibly Avid MC 7)

I know both softwares are picky with GPUs and that one can make Premiere "like" GeForce GT 745M by adding it to the cuda_supported_cards.txt
I also know GeForce GT 745M is more of a gaming card and I actually saw just a few system specs displaying that GPU for NLE...I'm looking for a budget laptop and just found one with good system specs (i7 Quad Core, 16gb ram, 500 gb 7200 rpm HDD) but with GeForce GT 745M on it....

I would like to know weather anyone has used the card for semi-pro video editing and could tell me about the experience...

Any advice is more than welcome!

Many thanks!

Mik

g-unit1111

Titan
The thing you have to realize with laptops is that laptop GPUs and CPUs are made for low power requirements and are a fraction of the power that their desktop counterparts have. If you're going to be doing serious video editing laptop GPUs just won't cut it. You will need a real desktop for that purpose.

Miiik

Reputable
Mar 30, 2014

I realize this, but thank you for reminding me. At the moment I'm looking for a mobile solution because I'm going to move quite often in the near future. I understand I perhaps won't be able to work on any kind of project on a budget laptop

Miiik

Reputable
Mar 30, 2014

Thanks!

AGx-07_162

Honorable
Sep 16, 2013
I've personally done video editing with a much lower-specced laptop and it worked out just fine. The issues that you run into will primarily come from the rendering speed, its much slower than you might like. For example, it would take 45+ minutes to render a 3-4 minute clip (depending on visual effects and how you're encoding it of course). Working with the video and effects feels perfectly fine, though scrubbing was an issue for me with the slower gpu, cpu, and less RAM.

What you have there is certainly workable, go with an SSD if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS