Keep current motherboard or get a new one?

Blaise170

Honorable
I currently have an ASRock 970 EXTREME4 that I use with an FX-6300. It has been a decent board for me, but I've been having some minor issues with it that have been really nagging me. I've contacted ASRock support and they said I could RMA it, but I will likely be out of a PC for 3-4 weeks.

I've been thinking about upgrading my CPU anyways (I just purchased another 7870 for Crossfire and I'm waiting for it to arrive to see if my FX-6300 can hold up to it or not) but it is not a huge factor in my decision (other than getting a 990 chipset instead of 970).

With that said, I'm thinking about getting a new board and just selling the refurbished EXTREME4 once it gets sent back. I'm looking for multiple GPU support and great BIOS (I like ASRock's UEFI, but it is the biggest cause of my trouble). Would it be worth it to buy a new motherboard and sell my old one? If so, does anyone have any recommendations of one over the other?

The two I'm looking at:
ASUS M5A99X EVO: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-m5a99xevor20
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-ga990fxaud3

I'm completely open to suggestions as well. I'm not wanting to spend more than $150.

Blaise170

Honorable

I've had the 6300 clocked to 4.2 GHz with OverDrive, but yesterday I couldn't get any graphics to work (videos, flash, games) and scaling it back fixed everything. I'll try a BIOS overclock if I need it.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Did you have to increase the voltage to get 4.2GHZ? When I had a FX-6300, I was able to get quite a good OC with just the miultiplier alone. I was just looking through my records to see what it was, but I must not have kept any. Seems I was around 4+GHZ, though. It was with a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 board.

Blaise170

Honorable

I changed the multiplier but it was through OverDrive. I think I figured out what it was though, it also enabled GPU OverDrive so my GPU was scaling up to 1280 MHz.