no power cord when purchasing Seasonic SS 500ET

tiebushan

Honorable
Mar 15, 2014
So, there's no power cord when I purchased my Seasonic SS 500ET. If I'm going to buy a power cord from hardware store, is there any particular specification so that the power cord will be compatible with my PSU (just for clarification, the cable that's missing is the one connecting the PSU to the wall socket). Does the cable need to have certain amperage or voltage or anything else? thanks

mains power cable is not supplied with a PSU as they are shipped all over the world so the manufacturer has no idea what type of mains plug is appropriate, and since the plug is normally moulded on to the cable that means they would have to supply four or five different cables - - too costly for them to do that.

For the UK you need one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-3m-Computer-Power-Cord/dp/B00B22TCRW/ref=sr_1_31?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1396262289&sr=1-31&keywords=computer+power+cable

For other countries, just buy same type of cable but with a different wall-plug on the end to match your country.

tiebushan

Honorable
Mar 15, 2014
so, any certain amperage or voltage specification for the cable so the PSU will play nicely with power grid? In my place, the standard voltage from the power grid is 220V. thanks

tiebushan

Honorable
Mar 15, 2014
yes, I'm not really worried about the shape of the socket if that's what you're implying (i'm using two-pronged plug in my country if you need to know, but I have the converter for the three-pronged plug as well). I'm more worried about the amperage or other property of the cable. I'm not really familiar with cable spec (maybe there's different type of cable that will deliver various current amperage or voltage regardless of the voltage delivered by the power grid) that might or might not damage my PSU. Or does the cable spec has no effect whatsoever? so if I;ve bought the wrong cable, there are only two possibilities where the PSU won't start or only the cable will be damaged, so there will be no damage to my hardwares. thanks

tiebushan

Honorable
Mar 15, 2014
18AWG? sorry, I'm not familiar with US standard. so for instance, I have a cable here with spec written on the socket 10A/250V. What does that mean?
while in the cord, it's written CCC LT 227 IEC 53(RVV) 3x0.5mm2 300/500V GB5023.5-1997. what does that mean? thanks

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador

You said you didn't have one?

Those are probably the max. values that the cable can handle without problems,again probably when handling more it can get to warm->melting->shortage or giving to much resistance,things like that (and maybe i'm talking out of my ass).
The psu has safety measures to kick in when things like that happen.

I don't know,maybe ko888 knows,and who cares...you're making this too big.That cable will be good that's all you need to know.