XPS 8700 & NVIDIA GeForce GT 635 - Running 4 monitors

hedge15

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
I am looking at buying a Dell XPS 8700 with the NVIDIA GeForce GT 635 1GB DDR3 video card running Windows 7. I need to run 4 1280x1024 monitors extended desktop. I notice the DVI port maxs out at 2580x1600. If I use a splitter like the one at http://www.euronetwork.co.uk/dvi-splitter-cable-lead-digital could I run 2 monitors off the DVI port and have it act as it is just one monitor extended desktop, splitting the signal and running a 3rd monitor through the VFA or HDMI port. Is this even an option?

Another option would be to replace the NVIDIA GeForce GT 635 1GB DDR3 video card that comes with the system and put in a quad or dual video card (with 2 splitters). Is either an option with this PC or is there another way to run 4 monitors off this PC? Tech support chat has given me 10 different answers and before I buy I want to make sure I can run 4 monitors, saying there isn't enough room or power for a quad video card. Thanks.

goku1234567890

Distinguished
First of all you can't extend a single desktop to 2 monitors. The desktop will appear in all the monitors but they will all have start menu buttons separately. You can run 3 monitors at once either if you use the splitter and use the HDMI port at once or use HDMI splitter and DVi port. I think you can extend a desktop to three monitors but i think that requires a Nvidia surround supported graphic card. And please tell me the whole system specifications and the make and model of the power supply to make you got the juice to run the graphic card. And yes if you use a graphic card like gtx 650 Ti or r7 250x you can run 4 monitors at once.

To run 4 monitors of a single card you're best bet is a Radeon HD 7750 eyefinity edition card. It has 4 display ports and each can drive an independent display in extended desktop mode.

If you use a splitter you will simply duplicate the same screen on 2 monitors which isn't what you want to do from the sounds of it.

AMD cards are almost always better for running multiple screens at once.

The card i'm on about:
http://www.micom.co.uk/powercolor-radeon-hd-7750-2gb?gclid=CK6yp7rU9r0CFZShtAodw3IA_w

Note you'll need to buy *active* mini display port adaptors (to either DVI or HDMI) to run all 4 screens at once. You can run 2 screens with passive adaptors however the price difference is minimal.