Another 'Is this a good rig?' thread

Matan_25

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
As above.

I've put together a build and wondering what you lot, being far more knowledgeable, think of it? I'm aiming for gaming though I don't necessarily need 60fps on BF4 or anything. Just looking for best build for my money.

http://orders.ebuyer.com/customer/shopping/index.html?action=c2hvd2NhcnQ%3D&stid=1

My first worry is will a midi case be enough to fit the board? Most places I've looked say yes but it will be tight. How tight? Will there still be enough room to work with without too much trouble?

Just so you know I was aiming for £700 so I can't really go any higher on any of the components though I'm happy to jiggle them about ie. cheaper case for better gfx etc. Overclocking isn't something I'm concerned about either.

Thanks in advance :)

Best build for your money would be to do something like this, where you can get under your budget, and get a nice graphics upgrade :)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor (£127.19 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: ASRock H87 Pro4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£54.37 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£56.53 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£57.53 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card (£227.99 @ Aria PC)
Case: Zalman Z11 ATX Mid Tower Case (£44.45 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£59.35 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) (£71.93 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £699.34
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-01 16:19 BST+0100)

But to answer your original question, yes, you have anice build there :)

Matan_25

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Cheers :)

Thanks for the advice, I prefer your build. Not so keen on the case but that always comes down to personal preference really. I do like the trade off of CPU for GPU power, makes far more sense.

I went for the Gigabyte board for the brand name and the good reviews and plumped straight for the 4670 as it seemed the best bang for buck. However, considering my budget and having a look at benchmarks etc I can see that I'm not losing out on either the board or the CPU and seriously gaining with the GPU.

Much appreciated my good man!

Yeah, if you won't be overclocking, any decent H87 board will do. And you will maybe see 0-1 FPS change in processors, but the upgrade to the 280x will do far better overall, as well as be more future proof :)

And I completely understand about the case, that's completely personal lol I just tried to get you under your 700 quid budget. The Phantom is a very good case, and will do you well if you decide on it.

I'm glad to see you were looking at quality parts, instead of skimping on stuff like the power supply to get a little better performance.