Replacing Cisco 2811 with Linksys BEFSX41

none888

Reputable
Apr 2, 2014
I have two networks. One has a Cisco 2811 router, another has a 2911. While the 2911 has many other connections aside from the 2811, the 2811 only connects to the 2911. I figured that the 2811 was an overkill for this application so I grabbed a Linksys BEFSX41, which is made to connect a home network to the internet, and replaced the 2811 with it. This solution only allows traffic to flow one way, out from the Linksys into the 2911. It does not however allow any traffic from the network behind the 2911 into that of the Linksys, It can ping the Linksys router itself, but nothing further.

It seems that this is maybe how a home router for internet should work. Allow traffic from the 'home' side to get out while not allowing anything back in. I just don't know how it is blocking incoming traffic or if I can unblock it. I disabled the firewall and all other security settings. I also forwarded the specific port required for an application to the correct machine inside the network and still ... no luck.

Anybody know why or have similar experiences trying to use home internet routers outside of their typical application?

none888

Reputable
Apr 2, 2014
Good question. I think I can explain.

The network that is behing the 2811 makes up one 'system' which exists in two forms with identical IP schemes. The large form is for training that specific system. The small form exists for when we are training other systems, usually the one behind the 2911 router. The large form of the system requires the 2811 because there are many interfaces unique to this network The small form really only exists to test features of the system behind the 2911 so it only needs to connect to th 2911.

I need to have the ability to switch between forms so while I could connect the small form's switch directly to the 2911, I would need to reprogram the 2911 and then reprogram it again if I wanted to switch the large form back. I had previously been switching the 2811 between the small and large forms but that deprives people developing courseware of their interfaces while the other course is ongoing.

Sorry if my answer is a bit difficult to follow but in short, I do not want to reprogram the 2911 which would be required to plug the LAN switch of the other network directly in.