New build, your thoughts please

MaigoMan

Reputable
Apr 2, 2014
Hey guys, I'm building a new rig and wanted your opinion on the parts for gaming/rendering and game development.

I'm going for:
- Case: Cooler Master Storm Stryker
- Mobo: ASUS Rampage Black Edition
- CPU: i7-4930k LGA 2011 Ivy-Bridge E
- GPU: ASUS GTX 780Ti DC2OC 3GB
- RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4 x 8GB) 1866MHz
- CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i
- PSU: Corsair HX850
- SSD: Samsung Evo 840 250GB
- HDD: 2TB WD Green (for silent and efficient operation)

Alternate options:
- CPU: i7-4770k LGA 2011 Haswell
- CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 or Cooler Master Seidon 240M

Also considering to RAID my drives in the near future and adding later an Nvidia Quadro card for better rendering and media work.

I need the system to be a beast and to last for a while and be upgradable in the future.

Thanks in advance.

IRyannHD

Distinguished
I would bump down the ram to 16gb, 2x8 You will save lot of money and still upgrade to 32 in the future, And how much will the HDD be used, you don't really notice a sound difference with a WD green but it saves power, if you will use the HDD a lot then I recommend swapping it for a WD Black.

MaigoMan

Reputable
Apr 2, 2014

I'll use the SSD as a boot drive, and the Green for storage and work, I was going for the Black but to my knowledge it is very loud, I'm going to have mics nearby so I want as low noise as possible with good performance. what about SSHDs?

IRyannHD

Distinguished
It's pretty much silent for me, the Green will be pretty much just as loud when it boots up, sleeps, boots up sleeps etc but I own a green and a black, both are good, I use the Black more for its performance, and mainly use the green for backups, photos etc. SSHds are ok but I would stick with 1 or the other tbh.

MaigoMan

Reputable
Apr 2, 2014

ok then, I can go for the Black and get a Green or even Red later for backups.
Anything regarding the rest of the build?

16GB can be used up pretty quick in renders (32GB for animation or 16GB generally for single scenes; unless they are MASSIVE). 6 intel cores should go a long way. What software do you use?

IRyannHD

Distinguished

Yeah I suppose, stick with the 32gb

MaigoMan

Reputable
Apr 2, 2014

I'm not worried about the CPU, I know the i7-4930k is great, it's the RAM (ex. clock speeds and capacity), GPU (Is it good for rendering work with its CUDA Cores?) and drives (best SSD/HDD configuration for speed and reliablity) that I'm having doubt's about.
I'm using Adobe Premiere, Sony Vegas, Unity/Unreal, Maya, Photoshop and Ableton Live.

yes you want CUDA support absolutely. Higher clocked RAM is obviously better, but the memory controller with that CPU is good and I wouldn't worry too much about RAM. Def go with the SSD option, photoshop specifically will benefit hugely, and im sure the others too.