i7 920 RAM Upgrade

msx-tr

Reputable
Mar 19, 2014
Hey there, recently upgraded a few things on my old i7 920 build (namely GPU to GTX 770 SC), and now realizing my RAM is falling short. I currently have 3x2GB OCZ Platinum 1866 (running at 1600, wasn't stable at the 1867 setting) running on an EVGA X58 MB. CPU is currently running stock speed, though I do plan to OC it to a near 4ghz mark shortly.

I've googled relentlessly as to whether to go with dual or triple channel, which turned up a wash. So now just wondering if anyone has any current advice as for what will work best with my system. I'm looking at either a 12 or 16GB setup (not sure 8GB will be enough of an improvement). Additionally, will I be able to reach the rated 1866 speeds after OC'ing my CPU, or should I save a few bucks and drop down to 1600?

As far as work load, my browser hogs a ton of memory (and just read that a fresh install will help, also planned for the near future). Primary objective is gaming (WoW, ESO, D3, whatever the 770 will run maxed).

Trying to keep the budget around ~$150 if possible. Any insight or recommendations are hugely appreciated!

msx-tr

Reputable
Mar 19, 2014
Yes, but not anything extreme. Hoping to get 3.9-4 MHz out of it without drawing too much heat.

What exactly is the difference between those two sets?

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
The 1866 provides more bandwidth and thus is faster, much better in muti-tasking, video, imaging, etc and even in gaming can add a few FPS, plus today many 1866 sets sell at a comparable price to 1600 or less...Also can be better if you upgrade mobo and/or CPU

msx-tr

Reputable
Mar 19, 2014
I get that 1866 is faster which is always better, just wanna make sure I can utilize it with my current CPU / MB.

Also wondering what value a 4x4GB kit will have for the future. Plan to upgrade my processor likely with Broadwell release or shortly thereafter. Just don't wanna blow $200 on RAM that'll be useless with minimal saleable value. :s

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
If you think 16GB will be sufficient in the future when you upgrade, then you'll be fine, on my builds 1866 is basically the entry level, haven't used 1600 in I don't remember how long, and even the basic Haswell ( and will be same w/ Broadwell) CPUs can run 1866