Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X OC Runs Even Cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

holyprof

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
This thing is awesome! I can't wait to see the clocks on the 8GB Toxic edition! It could beat the Titan Black...
As much as the AMD fanboy in me wants you to be right, i think this card can only beat Titan Black with its price/performance ratio.

Super_Nova

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
Very Nice indeed. Is that cooling also seperatly available and what would it cost in €? I've got a sapphire 290 with reff. cooling but is runs really hot after a while:-(

David Dewis

Honorable
Jul 6, 2013
I am quite happy with my MSI 4G R9 290. I can't think of any reason for needing anything more powerful at the moment. Having said that, with talk of 4K monitors now hitting £600, it could be worth getting a second one to crossfire at some point

weilin

Distinguished
Very Nice indeed. Is that cooling also seperatly available and what would it cost in €? I've got a sapphire 290 with reff. cooling but is runs really hot after a while:-(
It's very possible that the cooler is tailored to a custom PCB. If you indeed have a reference board with a blower, the screw mount holes/Memory pads/etc won't line up even if you could get the cooler aftermarket. You should probably look into the ARCTIC Accelero Xtreme IV

CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012

Idk. The 780 Ti only beats the 290X by ~7%. If the 290X used memory as fast as the 770, and got a 100-200 MHz bump in core clock like the 7970 got: It would get about a 20-30% performance boost. That would beat a Titan Black. Give it a $800 price point and 2GB more VRAM than the Titan and BOOM!

rbarnhart

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014
Sapphire confirmed to me on FB today that the 8gb cards are cancelled. They would not comment on a 290x Vapor or Toxic edition. You have to assume that if they were planning 8gb versions, they are retooling to distribute the standard 4gb versions instead. Hence, they announced only this card today.

hannibal

Distinguished
Interesting... so they seems to be waiting for 20nm cards for 8Gb versions. Maybe a wise thing to do. 4 Gb is quite good for 4K usage at this moment, and in reality 4K would actually benefit for more speed, so next model will be more interesting.

bemused_fred

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
This thing is awesome! I can't wait to see the clocks on the 8GB Toxic edition! It could beat the Titan Black...
What the hell do you need 8GB for unless you're a professional animator working in 4K HD?

To the absolute cretin that downvoted this: why? Why do you think I'm wrong? Do you have any evidence to suggest my statement is false? Or are you just mindlessly downvoting any view that contradicts your own?

Go on, post some actual evidence that anyone who isn't donig graphics design and rendering on ultra-high-res monitors needs 8GB of ram. Spoiler alert: you can't.

n3cw4rr10r

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2013
The card is being listed for $499 on amazon. Here is the link : http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-VAPOR-X-PCI-Express-Graphics-11227-04-40G/dp/B00JJJW4Z2/ref=sr_1_14?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1397314693&sr=1-14&keywords=sapphire+r9+290.

Request: Can you guys do a comparison of the partner r9 290 cards?. I am in the market for one, the prices are a lot more reasonable and am lost as to which one to pick.

Getting wound up for an anonymous downvote and throwing insults around probably isn't the best way to present your case.

And actually, I can think of a reason for an 8GB VRAM card: Crossfire. Get a pair of those for triple 1440 screens. It's a niche case, but the people who get the highest line cards are also comparatively niche.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS