We Take a Tour of AMD's Datacenter in Georgia

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethanolson

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
Wow... a Dell rack, a NetApp rack and a ton of HP blades. I think I know who's leading the consolidation effort. Hint: it's the blades.

Jaroslav Jandek

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
Yes, they are mostly for the transistor and logic simulations in electronic design automation. It takes a lot of power to simulate all those billions of transistors and logic gates in a timely fashion.

BoredSysAdmin

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
Georgia, Really? I wonder if AMD had compared cost vs building the DC somewhere in Great lakes region (big hit - Much, Much cooler weather) vs short term tax breaks in GA??

Mysteoa

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2012
I'm usually mugged for my camera equipment when I enter a datacenter. I won't ask you where you hid your camera but, those pictures have a odor about them. =D
You can see the camera on the last picture in Dell"s logo

Tejkion

Reputable
Apr 6, 2014
@EthanNolson: Why wouldn't AMD use HP blades? HP/Compaq have been using AMD chips in their PCs since at the 486 days, if not sooner. Why would you go with a vendor like Dell, who, at best, sparsely uses your chips, and for the most part only as a threat to intel to keep intel's prices lower when it comes time to buy more chips. And by it's very nature, NetApp is not going to use a lot of AMD chips...at least not at the moment, when compared to what the other, more PC centric vendors would use.

Nickmasino

Reputable
Apr 6, 2014
(Georgia, Really? I wonder if AMD had compared cost vs building the DC somewhere in Great lakes region (big hit - Much, Much cooler weather) vs short term tax breaks in GA??). Metro Atlanta is a Mission Critical HUB in the Americas. AMD's DC is across the street from a QTS DC & their HQ and 1 of HP's 6 N. American DCs. Suwanee, Gwinnett County has the largest concentration of GA Tech Alumni and 2 times the Tech Workforce of the average US County. This location along Data Center Alley has reliable and competitive power from GA Power & Jackson EMC. If you want to know more contact Nick Masino, SVP Gwinnett Economic Development nick@gwinnettchamber.org or 404.667.6425

vabello

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2014
With 70% of their budget going to maintenance, why in the hell are their Dell PowerEdge R415's in the picture all showing hardware related issues needing to be addressed???

folem

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
Georgia, Really? I wonder if AMD had compared cost vs building the DC somewhere in Great lakes region (big hit - Much, Much cooler weather) vs short term tax breaks in GA??

They will be using these machines to simulate their chip designs, so they want to keep it relatively close to Austin to reduce latency. Also, the weather is not that much cooler in the Great Lakes region than north Georgia except in deep winter. In the winter, they can just use filtered municipal water in Georgia, whereas they might actually have to heat it in Michigan or where ever to avoid too much of a temperature difference with the machines to avoid cracking the cooling pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.